Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers or no headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info regarding my last question on the thorley headers. So I think if I am gonna do it am am going to go for the Edelbrock TES headers for my 90 K5 350 with 160,000 miles. Is it worth it? It will be running through a high flow cat and a single 3" Flowmaster cat back. What kind of gains can I expect if any at all? The motor has high miles but runs like a top. Thanks in advance

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Headers will always increase bottom end. So off the line you should notice the biggest difference along with towing. Headers are a great bolt on bang for the buck.

3. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

8-12hp
    You will feel it:)
    I just read an article in I believe car craft were they took a 260 -280 hp motor and switch from manifolds to headers and achieved 8-12 hp increase but the best increase was in torque at the lower rpms. Then thy took a 400hp motor and put manifolds on it and it lost 60hp but it was above 5700 rpms.

4. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Most performance builders will tell you. The best low cost performance enhancements will come from going to headers, this is due to the improved exhaust flow. Plus it will help give more improvement out of other changes like High flow CATs, cams, carbs, EFI, and intakes.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Missed the part on thorleys, why the TES's over them? Just curious as I thought the thorleys were good headers.

6. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Not a quality issue, just a price issue. I think there is a $200 or so difference between the two. Thorley's may be the better choice, but I can't afford them.

7. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

hooker super comp's flow very well and give big gain's.
    anyway everyone need's a pair of HOOKERS.....lol

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

My Thorley's ROCK!

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running the TES in my 89. I have had them for over 2 years now and they still look almost new. They are holding up great have had no problems or leaks.
    Before I got the TES I had a 3" single exhaust into a 70 series flowmaster muff. After I put on the headers I noticed a nice improvement in my low end torque. Better throttle response and faster accleraition. I also had more power Towing up hills. They were an easy bolt on and mounted right up to my 3" system with no mods cutting or welding.
    I think they were definatly worth the money. They made my Blazer sound better too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Talking about sounding better?!!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I cant believe what mine sounds like now, but on the downside...most of that is that I dont have a muffler in the system. However, that is "Supposed" to be on the way!!!RENE---Did I say that? ---- /forums/images/icons/wink.gif loveya man!*****

But after getting through $300+ of troubleshooting some problems that accompanied the swap....I can honestly say it provided about 1 or 2 extra kicks in the a$$. But if all headers were as much as Thorley's I'd say, "HELL, NO! It aint worth it.

So my synopsis is that if you can find a header (lenth and diameter wise) for your rig and keep it from causing exhaust leak nitemares, I'd go with which ever provided that with the lowest price.
    ** You all can have the soap box back now! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

LOL**jumps on the soap box** I'v been following your posts on all the Bull $*&t you have been going thru. I think I have responded to a few. hope every thing is getting straightend out.
    I gotta say I do agree with ya Thorleys Rock I would have a set on my K5 but the Edelbrocks were cheaper. But by their Try Y design I think the Thorleys will build more power than the TES