Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Nov 5, 2001.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 K5 5.7 FI. I want it to sound nice/breathe a little better Would headers be a smart thing to do?? What kind would be the best to use? Thanks for looking.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All depends, you don't "need" to run headers to get a good sound. A quality single or dual exhaust with a flowmaster muffler can make a great sounding vehicle even with stock manifolds. The engine will breathe a little better with headers, but they also require more maintainence (loosening bolts, blow gaskets, warped flanges, excessive rusting, extra heat, etc.). Headers have there pro's and con's, but for a daily driver that wants some performance and good sound. You are better off getting a nice exhaust system for your stock manifolds. Several companies offer complete exausts (from your manifolds back) single or dual and will increase performance and sound quality. Hope this helps.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
  4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think Leadfoot is dead on.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.