Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers or T.E.M.S

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Dec 26, 2001.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I am getting headers soon, and looking into it the only headers that I could find that came with the A.I.R. injectors, without drilling and welding (from the few that I looked at), was a tubular exhaust manifold. I dont know what th difference is exactly, but I would like to know if one is better tha the other. I've heard things about both, but nobody really knew the difference or if there was a big one. Anyway any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by KILLERK5 on 12/26/01 06:59 PM.</FONT></P>

2. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

The tublar exhaust manifolds that you are talking about, are those for a 350? If so do you have a part number for those or a price?

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock headers or heir shorty headers are by far the best I have seen for fit or quality for eveything including the ones for a.i.r. They are pricey though.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wild guess here, but he may be talking about the "Pontiac style" manifolds that GM made for some Chev 350's. They are shown in my parts guide for '85/'86, and basically they look like cast (real)shorty headers, with unequal length runners. Last I checked gmpartsdirect.com showed them as available, but they were upwards of $250 EACH, and I don't believe they showed AIR ports. No part number though, sorry, manual is now in storage. Dang I hate moving.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I did a lot of looking and you can get several brands of tubular or shorty headers with AIR. Edelbrock makes a very nice set. They are part #6863. You can get them through Summit for about $350. One thing about these, they come with their own y-pipe. If you have a lift, you will most likely be junking it. It will interfere with the front driveshaft.

I spoke to Edelbrock directly regarding these. The y-pipe is part of what helps these things breathe. If you have to junk it, they recommend simply going with their nickel-plated shorty headers instead. These hook up to the factory y-pipe. Part #6527. Only problem, they aren't available until March or April 2002. And they will run between $305 and $350 as well.

Flowtech makes an Afterburner full length header with AIR (Part #49100S, $240 thru Summit). I believe there are others out there as well.

I was recently looking at all this same stuff. I believe that shorty headers (or block huggers) are a good choice if you want to retain all emissions, including AIR. I also believe full length headers will give better performance. If you are going with AIR, I would look at the Flowtech as they have AIR and are full length. Otherwise, go with the Edelbrock shorties out in the Spring. I am keeping all emissions on my truck when I do my 305/350 swap EXCEPT AIR. Most emissions places around here don't even know what it is, more/less how to check for it!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!