Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jun 29, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    So how much horsepower do you guys think headers will give a 350? plus how mush will the sound change. This is a new 350 that will be running a high flow cat with a flowmaster 40 series muffler. I bought Shorty headers...(I would of bought long tubes but I just spent $200 big ones on a new y-pipe a few months ago.)
    [​IMG]

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

if you really want to add HP save the cash for full leangth header from what I've seen shorty headers have minimal gains :frown1:

3. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

whys the left one different from the right one?

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are designed to be a bolt in replacement for factory manifolds. Long tube headers are different too, on my K25, the pass side header sticks back almost half a foot further than the driver's side.

But yeah, you'd get the most high end power out of a set of longtube headers, but these are similar to headers that you'd find on any old muscle car, so they will do just fine.

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i found the biggest power gain, not only getting rid of the manfolds and switching to longtube headers but redoing the exhaust, straight pipes out the back (2 cats and 2 mufflers tho), i dunno about sound with short headers i dont see it chainging too much, maby a little hp gain too

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

car craft tests

Of course, engine variables mean that what they did or did not find in testing, may not be what you find in your application. Just for general trend info.

Header coating article

I just like that one.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that being concerned about squeezing every inch of performance out of a street driven vehicle is pointless. Most of our trucks engines spend their whole life never going above 4000 RPM (except on that rare occasion). We drive our trucks from stoplight to stoplight, obey speed limits (to within reason), and drive off road at crawling speeds. The difference in performance between short tube and long tube headers will never even be noticed by the average person that use their truck as DD. The extra 20 - 25 HP gain, and the increased roar from the exhaust sytem will not be felt. It will only be heard. I prefer short headers to long because of the many clearance issues with long headers.