Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers....TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FatBoyBlazer, Jun 22, 2003.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

is it worth puting headers on my 91...i got the cheapo dynomax ones for x-mas and i returned them to get my yellow top optima....i'm a cheap ase so i want some cheap headers so i can drive around with open headers during the summer nats in worcester..any sugestions with the bracketry on the belt asembly....it connects to my stock manifolds..thanks, ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of Flowtech Afterburners on, pretty happy with them. They don't hit the front shackles or anything, although the passenger side is kinda close. Driving through Fitchburg with them open was fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW you will need to have a bung welded in for the O2 sensor

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Im doing the same thing you got a pic of them with the o2 sensor mount welded on? I want mine coated so i wonder if i could get holly to do it for me then coat them? or should i just go with the shorty's coated?

4. angrysnowplow

They do sell collectors that have the bung for the sensor already in them, but my exhaust guy just welded it there. I'll get a pic when it's not raining frickin' buckets. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. angrysnowplow

6. angrysnowplow

[ QUOTE ]
    bracketry on the belt asembly....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ryan-
    I've seen people use spacers on the power steering/alt/exh manifold bracket so they could keep it. That's pretty much it, I doubt your truck is any different than my 90.

7. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

thanks, i'm prolly gonna get the same headers you've got if they've got em is stock.....you should come down to worcester to go to the summer nationals....laterz, ryan

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

do they (the headers you have) have the AIR system bungs on the front pipes?

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

be careful when you moung the stock 1-wire o2 that far back...O2 sensors need heat to work correctly, and headers cool the exhaust faster than stock iron mannies...I have my O2 in a similar place (welded into the header collecter flange) but I am also going to be putting a heated O2 in there instead...I would move the O2 closer or get a heated o2 set up...Other wise the O2 will incorrectly detect a lean condition and cause the Engine to run unnecessarily rich../

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

cool yeah i think im going to do that but true duals on my truck are going to have to be bent all crazy like well not really that bad but yeah ill get a pic of it once i get the headers and new exhaust done....like 4 paychecks from now so not too far away!!

11. angrysnowplow

Nope, my truck didn't have them anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. angrysnowplow

I'm afraid that may be an issue, it's been stumbling and hesitating while accelerating. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Do you have more info on the heated O2 setup? I haven't heard of it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Newer vehicles come with heated O2 sensors. They get hotter faster so the emissions apparently go down.

I do believe it would be a three wire O2 sensor that is heated.