Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers through the hood. where to buy/have made?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Nov 6, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

been thinkin now that i haev a truck i can drive every day headers through the hood would be really cool. anyone know where to get these?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check with the truck Pullin Guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well first off do you have a built motor with good valve seals and seats? if not you are gonna burn them up with that little backpressure. If I were to run them I'd just make them. All the major mail orders sell Small Block chevy header flanges and most people know someone with a welder. Not a whole lot of work, just some tight bends to face up out the hood. Oh and of course its gonna be LOUD, and though that may be cool say bye bye to street driving. I know you bought that ultra cool sweet tow rig though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. BowtieRed

hehehe. . . i already know about loud, haven't you seen my video? it'll be street driven on OCCASSION still. the motor will be built soon and i tend to stay up ni the RPMs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

video is in the non-4x4 issue forum . find it, download it, watch it, bump the thread. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the video saved on my computer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, you drive the sameway I do, shift "too" high and hold out the Rs.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh yeah and revving it up after you drop it into neutral /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can get mandrel j bends from summit or jegs. pretty much any common size. Alot tighter than any muffler place can bend for you too.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hokker and Hedman make pulling headers that are exactly like you describe. I think a set of those would be AWESOME /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BowtieRed

yeah, those are cool, i was thinking more along the lines of 4 pipes on each side coming out the hood. maybe i'll just get some regular headers.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Just take a set of regular headers and turn them upside down. The one that normally goes on the drivers side will now be uside down on the passengers side, etc. I have also seen a truck that had them flipped up where the collector was toward the front of the truck. I've been thinking about this too. I want to get a set of those flaps like a tractor or 18-wheeler has on the stacks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BowtieRed

i do not want two pipes though the hood. i definitely don't want them non semmetrical. i want 8 individual pipes, you see? top fuel style, except out the hood

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

skipped my whole point about that little backpressure being damaging on that motor of yours huh? A friend of yours probably has a welder, 8 j bend pipes like cybrfire said and a couple header flanges. And if a friend doesn't have a welder well find new friends.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

SLED DOG is right,we had a stake truck at work,an f-700 with a 370 and a garbage can size can muffler. when the exhaust rotted out we put duels on it, it went from about 67 mph to 54 mph floored.the grampa munster exhaust is cool though i still want to do it once in awhile.that will just make it not drivable at all.get a bad ass flow master or something or a snorkle.that way something is sticking out and functional. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Get Jesse James to make them.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah he is god afterall.