Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers vs manifolds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Oct 24, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

whats the difference..how much more do headers flow than manifolds..and why!?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Less fighting for the gases to escape....You will feel a difference. More maintenance, more noise, heat, and possible frustration of tracking down leaks, but worth it IMO....

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Manifolds are usually cast from iron . Headers are usually mandrel-bent tubes that are welded to a mounting flange...The transitions in headers are MUCH smoother and the tubes can be made much larger than on manifolds...

Iron manifolds are great if you are looking for QUIET opperation with lower heat and potential lower maintainance..

Headers offer a nice gain in power (depending on engine combo) but are louder, put off much more heat, and can create headaches when they leak (My thorleys on my 454 are leak free and I like a loud exhaust so I don't care about the noise)

Chris

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Headers allow the exhaust to escape faster that a regular manifold.Less restriction.If you go with headers do yourself a favor and don't buy the cheap ones.they will rust out in no time...........

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that his header/exhaust combo felt like 100% more power out of his set up. Highly recomended it. I highly recommend paying for the good ones too. With real thick flanges /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so you don't leak.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Headers have a performance advantage over manifold, without question! But, since you also live in the great northeast(as i do) we have snow and alot of road salt! A regular set of headers, your basic 75-125.00 type will only last 3 years or so before they fall apart and you have to replace them. If this is for your everyday truck, I might consider leaving manifolds on and just do a good dual exaust. If it's just a summer toy, strip and repaint the headers with a good heat paint. Not the spray can crap. Go to a hardware store and get some furnace paint! and paint them inside and out! That will slow the rust down. The collecters are a real sore spot for rust. If you are dead set on running headers on a daily driver, consider spending the extra money on stainless or coated headers. they will last longer. I stopped running headers on my daily drivers. I got sick of all the problems!

7. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Go to the newstand and pick up the December 2003 issue of Car Craft magazine. It contains a couple of good articles on headers and header theory. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well my truck came with them on there when i bought it but theve bene nothing but problems for me..yea they look kinda neat and make it sound neat but it leaks..bout impossible to stop...and the exhuast that was made to go with them is stupid as hell and dont fit right, is loose..hangs to low ect...and i cant make a decent exhuast for them in less i go out and have custom pipes bent..but i dont relaly have the money..but if i had manifolds i could just go out and buy the stock dual pipes for a 73-whatever it was...like my dad did. simple. and put a couple glass packs on there or something. andd if i was going to go headers again they would be the short ones not the long ones like on there now!!

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

good article! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...and the exhuast that was made to go with them is stupid as hell and dont fit right, is loose..hangs to low ect...

[/ QUOTE ]

That right there is probably where most of your header troubles are coming from... I had the cheap $100 headman's and only had one problem with an exhaust leak (because of a couple loose bolts).
    Also, if you check the link to the Car Craft article, you'll see that the 4-into-1 long tube headers make more torque at the low end, where heavy trucks like ours need it....

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ill probobly just takem of and sellem..i already got the stock dual pipes..just need to get some cherry bombs..and take the manifolds of the blazer and put it all on..sure ill be much mroe happier wit that setup..although i will kind of miss the headers.

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

the only header i would consider for my k5 would be a shorty of some sort... the long tubes are only good for high rpm and they usually end up dragging the collectors on rocks. personally, i like the low end of manifolds... of course i have a pretty stock 400 so no high rpm's for me anyway you look at it.

OTH, long tubes would be great for a mud runner! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the long tubes are only good for high rpm

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's actually the opposite of what happens. Long tubes will increase torque below the torque peak, while short tubes will increase torque above the torque peak. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Larger diameter tubes will move the torque peak higher in the RPM band. So the hot setup for trucks is to have a long tube, small diameter set of headers with a long collector.

Check out page 62 of the December 2003 issue of Car Craft for more details. They have an article that explains it all fairly well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Harry,

Right on with the advice on small primaries and long collecters. (see my sig for my thoughts on torque and horsepower) I've seen way too many street engines neutered /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif by some fool putting on headers with huge primaries then running them into dual 3" pipes or something along those lines. Just because your buddy has a turbo diesel with a 4" sewer pipe exhaust does not mean that's going to work well with your stock small block!

I think the biggest surprise I got out of that article (which is great BTW) was the Tri-Y pipes. I was always told that they are good for low to midrange torque increases, but they showed that they increase midrange torque at the expense of low end. No thanks!

Now I just need to find some decent 4-1 headers with all the AIR and O2 fittings for my 88....... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Sean

16. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

If your still not sure headers or manifolds...these are a nice set of manifoids that GM offers for 69-70 camaro, nova chevelle...They can really clean up a engine bay...There are no air tubes or heat risers...Just need a dounut gasket and flare the pipe...Tamraz parts sells them for 230.00 ask for rob and tell them Jason sent ya...Or any GM dealer sells them for more....

[​IMG]

17. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I was planning on getting the Thorley Tri-y's but after looking at the article I don't think that I will be.

What header does everyone else recommend for the most power? I have a stock 350 now, but I will be souping it up or putting in a 383 down the road.

Thanks

Trey

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I was dead set on the D/T Tri-Y's myself until I read that C/C article. Quite a surprise. Now I'm just thinking I'll go with the long tube 4-into-1 header like I had on my previous Blazer. It'll also be much cheaper that way.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was planning on getting the Thorley Tri-y's but after looking at the article I don't think that I will be.

What header does everyone else recommend for the most power? I have a stock 350 now, but I will be souping it up or putting in a 383 down the road.

Thanks

Trey

[/ QUOTE ]
    As I said previously I used to think it would be the Tri-Y's too, but I guess Hooker's are King with their smooth welds inside and out.... But as we saw with the tri-Y's, can't always go by what you hear /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wel lsince those pipes i was getting turned out to be wayyy more money than i was willing to spend i got some bendable tubing so im ganna just leave the headers on it guess and just get some new reducers welded on it