Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers...What do you have for locking bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Jul 15, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I joined the header club and need to find some good locking bolts so I don't have to mess with them...what are you using? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    I found these

[​IMG]

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh i got'm but they don't work real well, but they are better than regular header bolts

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I was in need of locking header bolts, I'd use these: www.go-breslin.com I checked the text only section, didn't appear to be as comprehensive as the flash version.

Now, since I see NO prices there, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" may be in effect.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have been wanting a set of those Stage 8 bolts; not just for the locking, but also for the allen-head, which would make tightening them much easier. $40 seems like a lot of money for some bolts, though.

I guess those split lock bolts have an interal bolt that spreads the end of the bolt out to make it stay in place:
    [​IMG]

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just got off the phone with Pat over at Breslin, real nice guy. He said he was going check out CK5 as I told him we all need help with this issue...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah a group purchase, or discount for CK5 members would be nice!

Any idea on the cost with no "discount"?

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    yeh i got'm but they don't work real well

[/ QUOTE ]
    HUH!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif WTF!?

I got some on my big block, and the last time i blew a header gasket on my smallblock i decided it was time to fork over the $40 for the stage 8 locking header bolts...
    If i bought the locking header bolts in the first place, they would have paid for themselves with all the gaskets i've changed over the last 5 years. I've gone through over half a dozen paper gaskets. I've gotten so tired of replacing blown header gaskets beacuse the bolts work their way loose over time.
    These things work awsome! They are a little bit of a pain if you ever need to take them back off... but IMO they are worth the $40 to be able to bolt on your headers and be confident you will never be changing the gaskets again.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I hooked the guy up with the "powers to be" here so lets see what he does for us....

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

3/8" x 1" long are 65.00
    3/8" x 3/4" long are $58.00

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    HUH!? WTF!?

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY Ryan guess what. there are my different variables out there when using [I love Jeeps]. so they worked great for you thats great, but they didn't work very well for me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

when i installed mine some of the tubes were so far from the bolt that this allowed for the bolt to loosen close to a 1/4 turn and on 2 of them i had to grind out part of moon shaped thingy cause they were to close to the header tube. i installed aluminum gaskets and i still have some minor leaking. So IMLAO they aren't work the $40 i spent on them.

this i all installed with my POS over priced ceramic coated flaking dyno max headers.

and Yes it's proabably headers fault not the nuts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

ok, I put the split bolts on my truck, I really like them...after one month no leaks and they were easy to install, I've even taken some back just to check if it was doable...I made mine own up to see how hard it would be, these are working and now I can put my inner fenders back on....no leaks....
    [​IMG]

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use regular bolts, I just tighten them. Once you tighten them a few times they don't work themselves loose anymore. I'm afraid to use allen head or 12 point bolts because if they rusted in there, you'd never get them out.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the ones i used are SS...

14. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Those are cool bolts, maybe we can work out a group purchase. I would be in for a set.

15. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

i went to local hardware store and picked up some allen head bolts and lock washers and heaven't had a problem since with them loosing up. it was less than five bucks for everything. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I don't have locking bolt's /nut's on mine. I just used regular grade 8 bolt's and cranked em down. Once the flange/gasket take a "set" you should'nt have to worry about it, I did check them every week for getting loose, and only found em loose once. After that they have'nt backed off a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i use a quality header only ( thick flange ) and quality gasket (copper ) from p.a.w. and then just reguler header bolts with some (blue ) semi pem lock tight on em working good for over 3 years now oh wait i think i did have to snug 1 up once caught it in time though before it blew out the gasket

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the ones i used are SS...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stainless still rusts, it just takes longer depending on the grade.

The other problem is that with allen head bolts and 12 points, they're easy to strip.

If you don't believe me about stainless rusting, check out any 98 or newer Ford Ranger tailpipe. It IS stainless and mine sure as hell is rusted, as is every other one I've ever seen that wasn't brand new.

19. pitts

pitts Newbie

I purchased Copper reusable gaskets from checker and they came with lockwashers and I have never had a problem.

I had trouble with the header hitting the shackle when I first put them on but after the exhaust shop installed the flowmasters the modded the headers so they don't hit but the original gaskets were blown and the header flange was tweaked which made the copper gasket leak at first until I reinstalled a fiber along with the copper and that sealed it up good even with a tweaked flange /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have retorqed 3 times and they have never loosend up but I do like the allen head bolt idea which would be easier to tighten if I get another leak /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I use bolts with a small hole in the head and safety wire them. Freebie!!!! (from work)