Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers Which Ones?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Aug 13, 2002.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am looking to put headers on my blazer. I want something that is gonna last. Any suggestions on what to get?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stainless!

http://www.stainlessworks.net/GM%20New%20Products.htm just scroll down, you'll see them. About $500 IIRC.

Coatings are ok, but the process obviously hasn't been perfected, if it can be.

Stainless is expensive, but unless you like taking headers off every year or so to have them re-coated (which does happen in some cases) or have them rust out eventually, either cast iron manifolds or stainless headers are the way to go.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I was told they dont even coat the insides.
    I thought that was the whole idea of coating them so that baffled me

nice link $$$

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Personally, I like Hedman Headers. I don't have the fancy coated ones, just the regular painted set. They will rust but I've only had to buy 2 sets in 13 years, the first set lasted about 9 or 10 years before I had to replace them.

BTW - I play in the mud so they always have the crusty baked on mud stuck to them.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running Headman headers, had for 4 years now, the only problem I had was in the installation....the driverside header is right in line with the trans linkage, so I had to modify the linkage.

6. dyeager535

Yeah did you see the recent Car Craft that was about the coating technique for keeping heat from getting out of the primaries?

Not sure if it was a special coating, or just that it WAS coated on the inside, but the temp difference was huge. Power wasn't, but if it saves the starter and lessens all other heat affected items, sounded pretty cool.

Then again, with stainless headers, you can wrap them and have no problems, unlike the uncoated ones, just seems to help them rot out faster.

Not sure about the back-easters though, that salt will kill stainless too, but not sure how bad it would be on headers.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no i didnt see that,
    I pretty much gave up on Camaro Craft etc
    all the mags seem to have hired 12yo journalists that know jack about the subject
    '$ : actual tech' ratio is very high
    very thankful for the internet,
    although I have been distracted with 4x4s and road racing suspensions since I got online and have no links to a hardcore engine forum

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

was it you that told me the tubular stainless corvette manifolds are big bank item as well?
    basically just a block hugger style header with a GM part #

9. dyeager535

Actually there are 1985 or 1986 Stainless truck headers for SBC's. I saw them in my GM parts manual, ('85/86 obviously) checked the number at GMpartsdirect, and it came up valid. Big $$ is right, but its been about 6 months to a year since I checked, and I don't have the number handy.