Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers, worth the money????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jul 22, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have 2 1/4 true duals that turn out behind the wheels like stock with no cats, and factory manifold. wondering if headers would make a difference worth the cost. not sure the brana of muffler

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I did headers, and they made a HUGH difference. I did it with the exhaust,. and I was really happy with the outcome. I'd bet I gotta 30+ hp improvement with the 2.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

how much did it cost you??

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well headers can be bought for under $100 depending on what you get and want.... then you can go from there and spend way more. I spent $325 for Edelbrock TES headers with AIR and the Y-pipe... Some people say they don't do a thing, others say they do.... I'm one who says they can add horses and do more then that if done right... not to mention they could greatly improve the over all air flow which could increase performance. But anyhow at the very least they look cool and sound cool! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

5. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i would recomend headers for anyone looking for more performance from their engine. They flow better than the heavy stock cast iron manafolds and improve the sound of your vehicle. Some people complain about leaks but it hasnt really been a problem with mine. You can get a set of headers for less than $100 from summit or dynomax or you can spend a little more for a set that are made a little better or coated with something to keep the heat down. Headers are especially good if you have or are planning to do other mods to the engine such as and intake manafold or cam change.

Check out my 73 K5 members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got hooker super comp headers, and I paid little over 300 for them from summit, but there are cheaper headers on the market.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have had excellent luck w/ any Hooker Header... you can get them for pretty cheap... like 130 and then either wrap them or have them dipped somewhere and you will be set. I also had a pair of dynomax headers that were pretty decent, but suffered from some leaks and need a ding and bang here and there to fit, but I believe they have coated ones for about $200 or so if I remember correctly. I also looked into Flowtech Afterburners and they look decent too... I still haven't decided what way I'll go, but I'm gonna use manifolds till I swap the motor next next spring anyways.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't wrap your headers if you live in the rust belt. I've heard that they hold moisture and salt and rust out your headers very quickly. Most header companies won't warranty their headers agaist rust through if there's evidence that they were wrapped. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Personally I'm going to go with a set of stainless headers/exhaust. I don't care how much they are because the way I figure is that they will never rust and will literally last a lifetime so I won't have to spend money on them again. Any disadvantages to stainless? (ie heat?).

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You don't really want to get the cheapest ones you can find. Chances are they won't be a good fit. I run Heddman headers on the blazer. Awsome clearance! And the camaro has edelbrock. Both fit really well and you can get to the plugs pretty good.
    People who say that they don't offer an improvement are prolly running cats. But they've improved everything I've ever put headers on.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Had headers put on mine, dynomax, same as the mufflers, however I have no idea if it made any difference it was done at the same time it went from a single to a dual, by dual, i mean dual cats/etc... not just a Y pipe. I also had my pipes turned out behind the tires, however I did leave more than enough room there so I can go up to maybe 38"'s if I ever get daring...

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Ture Duals have two cats !
    Jump the neibors fence and get you some cats.
    Or go to the back door of the resturant, and tip'em good.
    Tests have proven headers will loss low end torque, its up to you spend money and lose power.
    Good luck

13. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Did you get a custom setup for the pipes or was it off the shelf? Just curious. The county I move to is not as strick with emissions. I want to take everything off.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

14. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

don't stainless steel headers change color with heat?

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I dont know about stainless changing color, but I know the chrome ones do, they turn like a swirly bluish, yellowish,.....you get the picture.

16. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

maybe those are the ones i'm thinking of

17. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i was under the impression that "cats" were catalytic converters, and that they had nothing to do with wether an exhaust was dual or not. I thought that to be true dual exhaust you had a seperate exhaust system for each side of the engine, (no y pipe connecting). are you saying a vehicle with no cats can not be considered true dual exhaust?

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup Harry you said it... there are a whole bunch of things that people frown on w/ the wrapping, but the way I see it is if you buy cheap headers well you can always replace them down the road... although that wrap is pretty spendy too.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>