Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5bl, Mar 4, 2005.

1. k5bl

k5bl Registered Member

What do most of you guys run shorties or long tubes? and why?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hooker long tubes, simply because they are the best....

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thorley Tri-Y's, IMHO, the best, lol. Ran a set on my old 350, then got another set when I went big block.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Flowtech Afterburners, supposed to give the HP of Tri-Y but the bottom end of long tubes, I can't really compare though, I imagine the HP difference between regular long tubes is not going to be felt in my butt.

We have Doug Thorleys on our 97 Suburban, very nice headers!

6. k5bl

k5bl Registered Member

any problems with the plug wires fitting with the afterburners? also whats better high temp paint or ceramic coating?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Some long tube headers might interfere with the frame. shorties are just as good and go in to with no clearance issues. I was actually lookin into a set of thorley tr-y's but after comin across enough folks I decided on shorties. Ask around and see what other guys have found for clearance problems.

8. are flowtech standards good for straight plugs ??

what headers have the easiest installation/ fit?

i had some on my old truck and they were all rusty/leaky and cracked i want to get some new ones!

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a lot of clearance problems with long tube headers on my 1985 K30 Dually. The problem is on the right side. The right side header is only 1" away from the starter motor and wires. It is a nightmare to deal with the battery cable, heat shield, and wires going to the starter motor. The upper shock mount on the right side is completely obstructed by the header, and I had to make a custom heat shield for the fuel lines along the frame because it kept getting vapor lock from the heat of the headers.

I have a set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, and they are really good headers, but they are a major hassle. Since this truck is street and trail driven only, and not a full-on dragster, the difference between long tube and short will probably not even be noticed, which is why I am seriously considering changing to a set of shorties.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005