Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, May 31, 2001.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

In preparation for a new exhaust system (preparatory to new engine) the owner of the local exhaust/4x shop that I have been dealing with for years said that while he would build an exhaust system that included headers, he advised me to stick with stock exhaust manifolds for two reason: (1) Headers require constant attention in terms of keeping them tight and replacing the gasket; and, (2) Headers get very hot and do things like heat up the starter to the point that you cannot start your truck sometimes. If I did go with headers, he strongly recommended Doug Thorly Tri-Y (which he said are expensive and which he does not personally sell - he said I would have to buy them elsewhere and he would put them on for me when he did the exhaust). Anyone have any negative experience with headers (especially the heat/starting problems) or can make a recommendation for/against the Thorley Tri-Y headers (or any other ones)???

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm going with headers... I'm going to get a heat shield for my starter/solenoid and hope that works... if not then I will move my solenoid to another place. There's lots of headers out there. Just depends on what you want to spend really. Thorleys are great, but big $$$. I'm going with Edelbrock TES ones. I was going with Hedman until they backordered me forever and I said forget it! I've heard the Afterburner ones are cool too. Smog laws will affect what ones you can and cannot buy... not sure about the laws where you are! I'm in CA so I have to deal with tons...! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I run Hedmans, and the only problem I have is the traditional every three months replacement of the collector gaskets. I used Stage 8 bolts and they've never loosened. The only thing I would do differently is to have dropped the extra cash on ceramic coated instead of painted.

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I think alot depends on what you buy for headers and gaskets... In my experience cheapie gaskets and headers give cheap results. Heat is a huge problem on a daily driver... you can either get coated headers to reduce the heat or use a header wrap... both which add hefty costs. You also now have a much bigger conccern w/ plug wires and a much better quality wire is needed. Hot start problems can be handled by a blanket or shield.... otherwise move the solinoid up on the fender wall.
    DT's have a great reputation, but I have never used them. I personally love Hooker headers... they practically jump in the truck unlike a lot of cheap headers, and when I have used high quality aftermarket gaskets such as ROL or Fel-pro I have never really had much on a problem. Usually a retorque of the bolts after the first 100 and 500 miles. Dynomax's aren't awful but needed some attention.... headmans on my buddy's were absolute crap to say the least. Another issue is plug clearence... some are better then others here and I found alot of the shorties to be a PIA in this regard. I still say if you are gonna run into on pipe or run a just one cat there is no real need to go headers because in my experience the single pipe just becomes a clog and no real power benefit is seen... at least not enough to make up for the problems IMO.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

5. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

I've had headers on three Burbs, all were already on them when I purchased them. They are a pain to keep tight, and they do overheat the starters, causing early failure. If you go with them, shield the starter from the heat, and use the single individual gaskets instead of the long complete assemblies. If you get a gasket leak, the single section ones are easy to replace, and they seem to last much longer without leaking.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

6. ericsoffroad

ericsoffroad Registered Member

i run hedders on maney of my truck and i just use the hedders that i can afford such as flow tech hedders wich i have on now or the advance adaptor hedders i have on my jeep and i just use stage 8 hedder bolts and a starter heat sheild

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Our camaro has edelbrock shorty headers and the blazer has hedman headers. I had to retorque the hedmans once (for those who had read my post about the headers, I thought they were leaking, but it turned out to be a sticky lifter [​IMG]). The camaro hasn't had a problem with over heating or anything or starter problems. The blazer hasn't had such problems either. But, both have flex fans on them to so air is always circulating. Both also have racing wires on them and they have good (not cheap) wire looms to hold the wires out of the way.
    Sorry capt, but the camaro has single exhaust and the headers made a huge difference!
    Also, if you do go for headers, keep in mind what you'd rather have, torque or horsepower. If you get larger headers, it will increase your horsepower more than it will increase the torque. Smaller size headers will benifit torque more than horsepower. Hedmann headers are fairly good headers for the money. I would like to go with a ceramic coated header one day, but the old headers had a small hole in them and couldn't afford it at the time. If you get headers, I would recomend a flex fan just to keep the air moving, cause it does get a lot hotter, unless you get coated headers.
    But you have to look at what you want. Every truck is different. You might get headers and they might need to be torqued every now and then. If you think you might not have time, then manifolds might be the better option for you. Spark plugs do take a little bit more time to change.
    Also, if you have to run a cat, I would get a high flow cat. If you get a stock cat put on, then the headers will do you almost no good.

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>