Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Jan 2, 2007.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok so i have a 1985 blazer with a 1990 tbi engine in it with the 10 bolt front, 5 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body. i am looking for a good set of headers. im looking to spend 100-200. i know thorly are some good ones but i really dont have 400 bucks. know any good headers that arent that hard to fit? i know alot of them have probems with the spring hanger.

2. kerplunk318

kerplunk318 Registered Member

dynomax headers

I have a '90 and I used the dynomax long tubes. They fit ok but I had to take the differential bump stop out. This actually caused my suspension to travel too much while offroading and the front driveshaft smashed the bottom of the header. Its not that big a deal especially if you have a bigger lift (mine is 2.5) I have had them for about 2 and 1/2 years and they are rusting pretty bad. If I were to get headers again I would either buy cheap ones and have them coated or shell out the extra couple hundred bucks for the coated ones.

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've got the dynomax headers too. Shackle clearance issues on the passenger side. Also have to go with a shorter oil filter to keep it off the header. When these ones wear out, I'll go with shorty's.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm running Hedman Elites. They fit decent, but as you'd expect, rubbed on either shackle. 2x4 between frame rail and header, problem solved. However, for the just over $200 I paid for them, they are coated (decent) and they have the excellent ball/socket flanges, instead of the flat ones that tend to leak.

I don't know how the 5" lift will play into fitment, I know when I called to complain to Hedman about the fitment, they told me my truck was lifted and that's why they didn't fit right.

A lot of folks don't like any of the long tubes because they hang down below the framerail a fair amount, shorty or thorley headers are the only real solution to this I'm aware of.

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i see. anyone have experience with flowtech afterburner? what kind of gaines would i see with shorty?they have problems with shackes?

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run Hooker Comps. Long tubes don't bother me, but I now have starter selonoid problems because of the heat from the headers. No clearance issues for me.

Be willing to spend some money on headers, you get what you pay for when it comes to headers.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Steve, Ive told you how many times?....................Thorleys................

8. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

I just bought (like a week ago or so) a set of long tube Flowtechs, and so far they don't have any fitment issues. It's just straight headers so far, no exhaust, but I don't predict anything rubbing.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Shorties dont offer the low end torque that long tubes do. Shorties offer more high rpm horsepower though. But most people into wheeling need the low end torque more than the high rpm horsepower.

Most people who wheel choose shorties only because the fittament is good. I have a cheap=o set of flowtech afterburners on my 87 K5 and they work fine for me. They fit right, dont bind the shackle, sound good (just open headers..no other exhaust whatsoever:doah: ) and added some power. The best part is they are so cheap.
    -Harrison