Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i got my headers on today! took like 5 hours to strip off the old exhaust, and put the new headers on. im gonna take it in tomorrow and get duals run on er all the way back.

anyone got a preferance for mufflers? im thinking flowmaster 40's. they sound good, are kinda loud when you romp on it, and you can still talk in the cab. glasspacks are too loud for me (wife and kid).

whats your personal favorite???

:D:D:D:D:D

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

My flowmaster 40's are louder than the glasspacks that used to be on the truck. I like how they sound though.

3. BlaKK54Speed

ill get some video tomorrow so we can hear what it sounds like, headers only...... hahaha

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

My 40's are really stinkin loud. They are true duals with no cats but it can get a little obnoxious sometimes with the sound. Luckily that truck isnt a daily driver or IMHO it would be a little much. I couldnt imagine driving down the freeway for a few hours at a time with that sound, but I dont know what would be worse, the mufflers or the 40" swampers howlin full bore.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm running Flowmasters AND glasspacks. Nice and quite at idle and low throttle but still has a sweet sound when the secondaries open up. :D

Had just Flows before and had to drive with ear plugs. :eek1:

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you still want to be able to hear conversation in the cab you might want to think about going with FM 50 series muffs. 40s are loud. Espically with headers.

7. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I bought some knockoff flowmasters through summit for about 35 a piece. Should come today...

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cats will quiet it down a lot and you will be able to breathe around your truck when its running.

I like the sound of flowmasters but not the noise level. Get some 70 series. I have them on my 2000. they sound like a flowmaster, cause they are, but they are not annoyingly loud. If you are not running cats thats what I would pick.

my woods truck has cheapo whatchamacallit's that I bought from a speed shop that was closing. no cats and it sounds good. I think they are Dynomax.:dunno: A chevy small block will sound good no matter what you do.

9. BlaKK54Speed

maybe i wont go with the 40s then, i havent decided yet but i dont want it to be too loud

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a super 40 on mine and you can hardly tell it is running at idle and is not that loud at highway speed.

I am curious how you guys that think they are loud have the exhaust terminated. Mine is out the rear corner I know if you dump it under the truck the sound bounces around a lot more and makes it pretty loud inside.

In the TDS post there is short 5 sec vid of my rig and you can hear the exhaust.

Here post #240

Ira

11. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

I think the noise of the muffler depends on the interior of your vehicle. I imagine a 40 series resonates a lot more in a blazer than in a pickup, but that's my opinion. I have 40's and headers in my dd fairlane, built 289, and yea, it's loud. Conversation is hard at freeway speeds, but I absolutely love the sound. At idle it's great, and WOT is amazing. But I'm 18 and like loud things. I am having some of flowmaster's offroad series mufflers put on my blazer today, with headers, so I'll let you know how those sound soon. Oh, and one more obvious point (I'm trying to point them all out:haha: ) is where the exhaust exits. If I had a family though, yeah, I'd probably go with some 50 series or something.

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I love my Super 44, its like the super 40 but louder and more agressive.

13. BlaKK54Speed

i have to drop it off wednesday morning so i will see what prices they have and see what will be best. i want it loud but tolerable too. damn my pickiness.

14. BlaKK54Speed

i have 40's on my stang, built 289. its loud. but i love it

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Dynomax Super Turbos. :deal:

17. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

i love my dynomax bullets. i hate how everyones truck sounds the same cus everyone runs flowmaster, yeah i love the sound but i dont want to be like everyone else, the bullets are loud loud loud, let me know if you want a sound clip.

18. Seafarer76

Seafarer76 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have dual 50 series under my Blazer, with the 2.5" pipes exiting under the rear corner behind the tires. Its not too bad a cruise, but you can really tell they are flowmasters when you romp on it. My wife says they are too loud, but I disagree, I think its just right.

19. BlaKK54Speed

ok, i got the 40's they are badass. it sounds amazing. perfect i think for this truck. heres some pics i took of it today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I had those same tips that the PO put on and i hated how it made my truck sound quiet:mad:. So i took the sawzall to them and wow it now sounds nice and deep like a real Chevy should:D