Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bwoodard, Oct 29, 2001.

1. bwoodard

bwoodard Registered Member

I am putting a 350 in my 86 K Blazer anyone have headers on their's? and could you tell me if there are any hassels installing the rest of the exhaust, pls. send pics if you can thanks

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have a 350 and headers. I bought the dynomax dual kit from jegs and the headers from summit. Which email address would you like me to send pictures too. You have two on your profile page.

I had to have the pipes custom bent because they didnt fit. IT cost me an extra $70. And finding a place to work on an 85 blazer with no cats was tough...
    Brent

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've got a set sitting in the shop now that are supposed to have 0 headaches. There are funky manifold used by GM in the late 80's on there large trucks. It has the basic manifold shape but it is made from tubing that all dump into a large tube; sort of a shorty header. All the connections are welded and it is made entirely from stainless steel. It even has the provision for manifold heated air and a starter heat shield. I like them because they perform well (according to Petersen's 101 performance upgrade for the SB chevy) and there not as cheesey as header, no rust, cracks, excessive heat, etc.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What didn't fit? I have the Dynomax kit and it fit PERFECTLY. Do you have Dynomax headers? If you don't, that might be your problem.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Exactly.... I bought summit headers, I tried to save some $ but ended up paying out more....

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Both were Dynomax? I had zero problems getting this setup to work on my '73, even with adding an H-pipe.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just finished putting in ceramic coated Flowtech Afterburner headers with the Dynomax dual kit and Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow mufflers. I got the flowmaster h-pipe kit too and "modified" it to fit under the transfer case but still be above my skid plate. The Dynomax kit didn't fit at first but since I had to cut it up for the h-pipe I got it to work. The worst part was the passenger side right after the header, I had to pick up a set of Headman header extensions and use one to clear the crossmember. I would have used the other one on the drivers side since they're so much nicer than the extensions that came with the dynomax kit, but I had already welded an O2 sensor bung into the original one. I will say that the Dynomax kit did fit very well from the mufflers back but the front half was a definite no go. I can't even imagine how it would fit with the correct headers, the passenger side collector would have to have been below the level of the spring eye.
    The h-pipe was a project in it's self. I bought a couple 2" mandrel bent j-bends from a local speed shop and welded up a sweet h-pipe that hugs the bottom front of the t-case and is still protected by my skid plate. I'm working on getting pics but I don't have a digital cam yet... soon I promise!
    The Flowtech headers are great! They fit perfectly and it's actually cooler under the hood now because of the ceramic coating and the system flows so much better that it gets the heat out quicker. They only cost $240 too! The only thing I don't like is that one bolt on each one is a B!TCH to get started and tighten, but once it's in they go on fine. It's actually easier to change the spark plugs from underneath now, instead of standing on a ladder trying to reach them from the top side or sitting on the inner fender.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

8. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

blazer_boy, where do you get those exhaust manifolds from? do you have a gm part #? don

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had absolutely ZERO problems installing my exhaust around my NP 208 with the Dynomax dual kit. Mine turned out great.

<a target="_blank" href=http://mavericktim.freeyellow.com/exhaust.jpg>My exhaust</a>

Man did I love that kit. In one hour, the pipes were on, hung, etc., with no help from anyone else.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles