Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 5, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I was just curious on how much horsepower y'all think I would gain doing this:
    Ditching my stock manifolds, with Flowmasters and 2 inch pipes.
    Going to Ceramic coated Hooker headers, 2.5 inch Flowmasters and all 2.5 inch pipe all the way.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

HP isn't really the issue for a daily driver or truck. Torque is what you want. The headers are a toss up... some say they hurt... some say they help. I think with a modified engine such as your's you would definetly see some performance gains... especially in the mid rpm's. I would probably stick w/ 2 1/4" duals though. Will help keep the torque and I really don't think it will hinder a mild small block w/ reasonable compression. That's my $.02 worth.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

You still won't make enough power to beat my burnout in front of your house! ;]

Stupid hurts

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You see Mr. Computer man, if you want me to get the post, then you click on the "reply" on MY post...not CaptCrunch's. I can show you how that works later.
    And your burnout was lame.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You tell em Ryan [​IMG] LOL.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

lol...Thanks for the support. Just a friendly rivalry.
    Back to the exhaust thing...I was going go ahead and do bigger pipes so that way if I toss in a crate motor later, I won't have to go back and change anything on the exhaust side of it. Who knows...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

OUCH! hehe. I will poison your beer the next time we drink. You know what I think about your headers, just make sure you get the coated ones, so you don't kick yourself later like I did. And you don't have to worry about it burning the paint off either. Now, about the burnout, I hope your neighbors liked it as much as I did, and you know it wasn't lame you jackass! ;}

Stupid hurts

8. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

I really don't know about the horsepower thing but I put a set of Hooker comps(coated) on my 88 Jimmy with 2 1/4in and Flowmasters. The headers were very easy to put on. And you can get at every plug with ease. The reason I don't really know the power difference is because my rear started acting up on the way to muffler shop and I pretty much nursed it home. 3/4 ton rears going in this weekend I hope. I like aggrevating the neibors once a day though. Best thing I put on the Jimmy so far. Sounds awesome!!!!!!