Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

I am looking for headers for my'79 but i have heard that people have problems with them comming loose and other things. Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of headers or should i just keep my stock manifolds.
    Thanx

2. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

I got a pair SR headers and yes the bolts do have a tendency to backoff a bit. I have to retorqe mine once a week or they start leaking. I'm gonna upgrade to ARP Header bolt w/retainers, I heard they work pretty good.
    Also upgrade those cardboard gaskets ya get, to a better gasket like Mr Gaskets cooper header gasket, they last longer.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I had problems on my old 77 Blazer w/headers, but I think it had more to do with how they were installed. On my current rig, '73K5, I put the entire exhaust on from headers back. They came with instructions on where to put the exhaust pipe hangers that helped more than anything in my opinion. Never had to tighten them or replace a gasket afer over 2,000+ miles. They are Headman headers I bought from Summit Racing.
    As far as pros and cons. They're good because they "flow" better than stock which helps make more horsepower. Bad because spark plug access can be a problem, as well as causing the starter to overheat which prevents it from working. Also, if you don't get the correct ones, getting them to fit can be a pain. Personally, I didn't have any fit, spark plug, or starter problems.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, depending on your application, you may have a power steering pump or a/c compressor or something else that attatches to part of your stock exhaust manifold. You may need to add a bracket, spacers, or something else to compensate.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Goose, which set of headers did you get? What was the part # from summit? I would like to get some and since you didnt have any fitting problems, it looks like you picked the right set.....thanks

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I have DynoMax headers on my rig. Put them on in 94 with the new motor. Haven't had any problems with them. Bolts have never backed out and gaskets never go bad or leak. I tear down the engine about once a year and change the Fel-Pro gaskets when I do. I have had problems with the collector gaskets leaking sometimes. Usually headers will get holes in them within a couple of years but these have held up since Oct 94 and I've put about 25,000 miles since then. They help increase scavenging and if are wrapped with header heat wrap they help keep heat out of the engine compartment. I wouldn't go back to stock manifolds!!!!

I say go for it!
    David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have the Flowtech afterburners on my 79. No clearance/installation/sparkplug/starter problems whatsoever.

Got them from summitracing for $221.90, part#49152-1 (ceramic coated).

I also got the A/C bracket part #10042 for $17.39. I've got to complain about this one. It replaces the lower A/C compressor bracket so it fits between the header pipes, but it didn't fit quite well. I had to cut about 1/2" so it could fit properly.

I'm very happy with performance. There were no losses of low-end torque and got lots of more power throughout the power band.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Pretty much Goose said it regarding the Pros and Cons. I agree with Gold Rush, wrap them things with header wrap. My bolts do work loose every so often, so yeah, I have to retorque it. I still am using the cheap cardboard gaskets it came with, but I do recommend going with better gaskets.
    Boss

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Just be careful if you wrap them. Some companies will void warranties if the headers are wrapped.

Go 79s!!!

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Blazer79,

You said some companies will void warranty if you wrap the headers? Why is that? Does it do something wrong to the headers in the long run? just wondering.
    Boss

11. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

About my headers: They are Hedman I bought from Summit. The part number is "HED-69230" and cost $92.95 back in '97. I rechecked my mileage and have put about 12,000 miles w/out a problem. They are specifically for my '73K5 w/manual tranny. They came w/out a warranty against rust through.(although I can't find those papers) They did say that any kind of wrap would void the warranty. Supposedly the wrap holds moisture and dirt against the headers causing them to corrode faster. I do have a good deal of coorosion on mine, but I don't forsee them rusting through any time soon.

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Goose made a good job explaining why they do that. Anyway I would never wrap my shiny ceramic coated headers, but mostly for the looks. I haven't had any problems either just because they are bare. I think header wrap is unnecesarry.

What I did to prevent damage to the spark plug wires is to buy two sets (4 each) of DEI spark plug wire booth sheats (that's a long name). They look aluminum on the outside and some kind of cloth on the inside. They will protect the boots from heat sources. If you still want more protection, wrap your starter too. I think this is much neater than wrapping the headers.

Go 79s!!!