Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bmwsma, May 9, 2002.

1. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

I need a set of headers for my 88 K5 350 auto air. What's the best? What are you all running?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i got Thorley on my truck, see pics in sig, not too good of pics, but they got a good shiny chrome coating. The flange is also really thick too avoid warping. Only prob is on mine, (may be diff for blazers) the passenger side header doesnt come down and go level (dont really know how to say it) it kinda points down, i guess its in case u want to run the y pipe and turn the exhaust back in front of the t-case. dont know. But they are pretty good. The coating isnt the HIGHEST quality (u can see like a drip or 2 in it) and the welds havent been ground off really smooth, but they are pretty heavy duty.

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

i picked up some hookers of summit racing for my 86. They made it seem like it was the one to go with. I went all out and got the ceramic coating but now i don't have money for the install so they have to sit until i can afford to have them installed.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running Flowtech headers from Autozone. $78 and I intalled them myself. After I put them on, I REALLY enjoyed the trip to the muffler shop with open headers. Poor weedwacker cars were window level with my collectors. I have to be careful because the cheap headers have thinner flanges, but I have no leaks.

5. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

I'm running Hooker Comps on my 88 Jimmy. The installation was fairly easy. They give you brackets for the A/C. I got the coated ones and I'm not to crazy on how they are holding up. Although my truck is sitting on the lawn next to my house. Too much moisture. My brother has a set on his Camaro and it is garage kept and his look pretty dull. I think I would have been better off buying the none coated and sending them to Jet-Hot. My brother had Jet-Hot coated headers before the set he has know and they looked like new after only being on the car for 2 1/2 years. (nice glossy shine) Overall I like the Hookers but I would not get the coated ones. Not worth the money. Hope this helps.

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

IMHO /forums/images/icons/smile.gif; the BEST for a 4x4 would be the Thorley TRI-Y's but the big factor with them is cost! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

So I went with what I thought was the next best thing; Ceramic-coated Flowtech Afterburner headers. They're a REALLY nice piece of work! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Haven't gotten to try them out yet but have talked to a lot of people on this board who are running them & they all love them!

Good Luck