Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shupach, Jan 29, 2003.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i know its been posted over and over, however after searching i've come to the conclusion not to get flowtech and dynomax, next question, will shorty/hugger headers affect performance vs long headers? and which ones do u recommend.

phill

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The longer headers are the best for performance. This is what I hve now. I plan on going to the shorties though for clearance reasons.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You lose bottom end torque with shorty headers, full length headers provide the full power band.
    Bill

4. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya im gonna order some hooker competition headers tomorrow, they're like 190 at oreillys

phill

5. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I agree with what Bill had to say. In the magazine articles I've read in the past, and the muffler shop experts I've talked to, unequal length shorty headers really aren't much better than a stock exhaust manifold. Full length headers on the other hand do give you better power throughout the rpm band. I've got Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers on my Sub and they have worked very well for me. They aren't a full length header, but they provide great bottom end torque. Good luck in your search for headers Phill!

6. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

1 thing I love about my hookers is that changing the spark plugs is alot easier than it was with my old flowtechs. Chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. brady1027

brady1027 Newbie

I have a 1994 chevy with 5.7, hollowed out cat and starightpipe. Would shortie headers hurt my low end torque if so how much?