Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEADERS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hektyk, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well I am going to tackle installation of my headers on to my 305 today. I am just going to run headers for now,no exhaust. I plan to cut the pipe right before the catalitic converter and pull down the complete intermediate pipe. Any Tips before I get started. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Save your money for a 350

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

prepare to cuss a good bit trying to get it in there. also dont get rash pulling stuff off to try to get em in. On the pass side, get someone with small hands to put in the back bolt.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

are you sure you wanna do that? just headers..you could get pulled over for that loud!!

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Oh man I remember running open headers!!! Just let off the gas around the local fuzz, they dont notice. Remember to plug the headers, like with a rag after yu drive it so the exhaust valves dont warp, and dont forget to take the rags out before you start it up again.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If they are too loud for you go down to discount auto or somthing and pick up some cheap glasspacks and take them to a muffler shop have them weld on a headerflange to one side and like a 45degree dump they shouldent charge you much i wouldent think you would have more then $50-$80 in the whole thing including the glasspacks but then agin they might not clear the transfer case crossmember. OH YEA and you will probably also get alot of fumes

7. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well I'm Done!!!! Me and my brother in law stuck em in. Wasn't have as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had to take the factory Front diff bump stop out though. I figure i don't need it anymore anyway. Not with my lift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I asked my wife what she thought of the sound and she said,"Sounds the same". WHAT!!!!!!!!!! From factory exaust to Open headers. Geesh women. lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well for now I am going to just run the open headers. I like the Idea about the Glass Packs. Has anyone ever ran cherry bombs on a car or truck? They make a header kit for them that already have the 3 inch header flange on one side and then a 2 1/2 outlet. I would really like to know what they sound like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

glass packes are a to each his own type of thing. they tend to have more of a raspy tone...but they sound pretty cool to me...anything loud coming from a v-8 or better sounds good to me..(no i dont likeloud rice burners..thats just stupid!!)..try them and see what you like...my dad has duals with packs on the 283 on his impala and its ok..(but of course no were near as loud..to quite if you ask me)