Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by getitup, Jul 14, 2003.

1. getitup

getitup Registered Member

After I finished the engine swap I found a set of free headers to install on the Jimmy. They were used and I do not know what they came off of but I guess that they are not the correct headers because I am having problems with them.
    Problem 1 The shift linkage for the th350 runs into them after drive. So can not get it into low and I need too because it sees alot of mud.
    Problem 2 The right side header dumps right out in line with the transfer case. I had to beat a glasspack almost shut to clear the transfer case. These headers cant be right, but if I buy headers for the 75 Jimmy then all these problems should go away right? I just want straight pipes comming off the headers to a set of dynomax mufflers and I dont want to have to go to an muffler shop to get it all bent. What headers do you suggest and will they make my plans possible?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problems with my '79 and the hooker headers from my chevelle. For the passenger side I just heated the primaries and used a BFC (big f*cking clamp) to get the header closer to the frame to clear the T case. A little massaging on the shift linkage got it to clear on the drivers side. I do not think there is a way to just run a straight pipe off full length headers on the passenger side, some bending will be necessary unless your rig doesn't have the Tcase to tranny brace like mine.

3. getitup

getitup Registered Member

Yeah I think that mine are off a camaro so I should have known that they wouldnt work, but they were free so I had to try them.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was just given a set of hooker competition headers which I installed with straight pipes and flowmasters (th340/np203). The passenger side brace had to be removed to do it, I'm mocking up a new brace to take its place and clear the pipes.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Could I get pics of your finished brace?