Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaun, Dec 4, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What are you running? Why? And if you could change what would you recommend. Any opinions will be appreciated. I am looking at some block huggers to replace my hooker comps.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I like Hedmen for my K5.
    I like the way they tuck up nice and high to the frame.
    I was gonna get Thorleys but they hang way too low for my type of wheelin. So I got the Hedmen Elite series fer like 260 from Summit. They have super think flanges and the tubing used is thicker as well. They come with a coating that is aluminum in color and have yet to change color or burn. I like um alot.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of stainless block huggers for that same reason. It would be easy to tuck the exhaust high up to prevent any rock rash.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got the Thorleys and as Mr. Burt stated, they are low which makes them pretty darn close to the passenger side shackle. I didn't have too much choice in headers because I am running aluminum angle plug heads which need extra header clearance for the plug boots. Thorley is the only company I found who advertised they will work with angle heads. The Thorleys also provide great torque due to the Tri-Y design , and look very nice indeedy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i'm also runnin the headman elite ceramic coated full legnth headers from summit,, they have really thick flanges, the only problem i found with them is the passenger side collector is about 1/4 inch from the shackle bolt and the driver side rubs a little, if they ever start leaking when i replace the gaskets i'm going to sand down the bolt a tiny bit to solve the problem.. other than that i thing the headders are excellent and i defenetly would reccoment them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Stock Corvette 2.5" exhaust manifolds.
    Pace Parts sells them.About $129.00 a piece though.
    Click HERE to see them.
    [​IMG]
    Prob. get a set on E-Bay cheaper.
    I like them just because there are no typical header problems.Just put them on and torque them down.

7. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

If you gonna run block huggers you will have to grind your cross member....Im going to build a custom cross-member to make way for my block hugger.....If I had to do it all over again 2.5" ram-horn all the way..... cross member with block huggers...

8. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Now Im using 2.5 ram horn but I have a set of SLP Stainless heders that I had got for a 68 firebird but ended up going to a 427 and couldnt use them so now Im thinking abought using them on the K5.
    Earl

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Looks like these would solve the problem of finding headers for the angle plug heads on my 383. Thanks.

10. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I have a set of the tube ones from a 89 vet if you think you can use them Ill try to dig them up. Ill send a pic and just make me an ofer its one of those things I have just in case some one needs them.
    Earl

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I run Thorleys and love all the bottom end I get from them, then I put on a set of good mufflers and it’s quite…think about having that load exhaust all day long and if you want it rumbling in your ear…if you do get headers, I put these on mine and it’s been almost a year and no leaks…

[​IMG]

12. champsjimmy

champsjimmy Registered Member

Does anyone happen to have a part # for the Hedmans? Summit lists headers for the K-5 application, but they are not the coated ones.

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone happen to have a part # for the Hedmans? Summit lists headers for the K-5 application, but they are not the coated ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go.....P/N 69830 according to Hedman's site /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

hedman also makes a set that will fit aluminum angle plug heads that are like $109.00 a set at the local parts place. If your looking for a good header for low buck, those are the ones. I run them now and ran them on my angle plug trick-flow heads in my first gen and never had any problems.

15. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Earl 87 if you have pics please send me some pics. Will those work on my first gen?