Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Jan 8, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

alright i know theres alot of post out there about headers, but can someone just tell me where i can get the best/cheapest headers for my truck, 1990 350, everything is stock on the exhaust excetp a flowmaster, i need something that will bolt right up thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

cheapest would be autozone
    flowtech for $75 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

i have them im my truck and have noticed on little problem. there is a pin hole in one of the welds at the collector. easy fix though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i have them im my truck and have noticed on little problem. there is a pin hole in one of the welds at the collector. easy fix though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    take em back, they've got a lifetime warranty.

5. big83chevy4x4

it too much of a hassle taking it off then putting a new one back on, when all i have to do it touch the wire feed to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

acording to az web site it has only a 3 month warenty here

7. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

do these bolt right up, do i need long or short

8. big83chevy4x4

you will need to modify your exhaust, but they come with everything to bolt up (gaskets, bolts, collector). they are the long stlye

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    best/cheapest headers

[/ QUOTE ] That's a oximoron. Cheap, check Ebay. Best would be Doug Thorley TRI-Y's in my opinion, can get from Summit.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want headers that will bolt right up to your engine and stock 3" single exhaust, without modifications the only thing out there is the Edelbrock TES system. It is very good quality and It is 50 state legal for somg. But it is not cheap.
    If you want a cheap headers you will have to have an Exhaust system or at least a cross over pipe built. Also you will need a threaded hole in the headers for the O2 sensor.
    I dont know how strict your smog laws are. But if smog laws are an issue. The Edelbrock system is probabally the cheapest/best the way to go.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have the edelbrock headers... they arent to expensive. wait for a good deal from Summit or Jegs or something, then go into a 4wpw store and have them price match. thats what I did.

j

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

do you know what size primarys the doug thorley's have? also are they dimpled?

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think the headers listed above will fit a 90 K5.
    Look at the application. They are for IFS trucks. The frame is diferent on K5s. IFS headers will rub on the frame.
    Also I dont think Edelbrock makes only the headers for 87-92 K5s. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They only make the complete TES system which runs around $380+.
    Unfortunlaty few header companys make direct bolt in headers for 87-92 K5s. Most all headers made for these years will require you to have some kind of exhaust work done.
    As far as i know The Edelbrock system is the cheapest out there for a direct bolt on with no mods.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    CHEVROLET K2500 PICKUP (CHEVY) 305 1988 - 1995 CHEVROLET K2500 PICKUP (CHEVY) 350 1988 - 1995

[/ QUOTE ] Was the closest I could find for a 1990. Would it really be any different for the mid 80's modles ??? All info from summit.

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh the 1/2 and 3/4ton trucks went to the new body style, diff frame, and ifs. The blazers/burbans/1 ton trucks stayed w/ the old body style and frame through 91.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup as K20 said they are diferent. headers for 87-92 Blazers and other non IFS trucks are specific to them. IFS Headsrs will not fit SFA Trucks. When I bought my EDL TES system believe me I looked for a cheaper way to go.
    I even ordered a set of Summit Truck headers for a 88 and up Chev 4x4 K1500 pu thinking I could make them fit. But they would not fit my 89 Blazer without notching the frame and redoing the x over pipe... My buddy who had a 91 k pu gladly took them off my hands. They fit/bolted right in his truck no prob. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I ended up ordering the Edel system from summit

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, would these fit the 90 ??? [​IMG]

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

They will probabally bolt on the engine and fit ok in the frame. But you will have to build an exhaust system for them. Most all long tube headers for 73-91 blazers will fit fine. But require dual exhaust or other exhaust work.

Thorley does make headers to fit 87-92 K5s. Including systems with X over pipes for lifts up to 6". But they cost more than Edelbrock systems.
    Thorley Header Applications

[​IMG]
    Like the Edelbrocks These are a direct bolt in also and should hook up th the stock 3" exhaust at the Cat. But I think they cost more because they are coated or chromed.

If you have deep pockets a set of these will bolt right on also.
    JBA Headers