Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headin to coosbay or. what tire pressure in dry sand?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yuba K5, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

at the end off the month im going up to coos bay oregon to play in the sand. what is a safe tire pressure? i dont want to lose the bead. im running 35 12.50 dunlop mud rovers on 8in factory ralleys.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Safe would be about 15 pounds in the rear, 17 or so in the front. FUN would be 10 and 12 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Just air them down until the sidewalls get a nice noticable bulge in them where the tire is on the ground.</font color>

3. Yuba K5

have u ever lost the tire at this pressure?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've never run a tire that small on the beach, but my freinds do. Basically if you're going to get wild go with the higer pressure, if you are not going to be trying to run it real hard you can go lower. It's best to just go with the bulge method, many people don't air down enough to get a bulge, so it's not relly doing anything. Just start airing down and once the tire is bulging out a good inch or so on each side, that's a good pressure. A buddy of mine runs 12/14 on a 7000 pound 3/4 ton Dodge and hasn't had any trouble, so I guesstimated that 10/12 would be a good pressure for you. At 15/17 you'd have a real hard time blowing a bead, at 10/12 you could do it if you got to stupid or aggressive.</font color>

5. Yuba K5

u wheel at pismo? i have never ran in the sand before.how do u think my setup will do?i have posi frot and rear which i hope is me saving grase with the narrow tires. i dont want to drive all that way to have a jeep pull me around all day

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, when my truck is running I try to hit Pismo at least 4-5 times a year. You'll do just fine if you air down like I told you. Mainly, remember this, in sand if you start sinking, do not gas it, give it real gentle throttle input. Always use smooth throttle inputs to avoid getting stuck in sand. Once you get going you can spin your donuts and stuff, but don't just romp on it from a dead stop. Traction is very hard to come by in sand, you have to tease the sand into giving traction, not try to force it to. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Did I hear Peezmo??? We're going over Labor day...my crewcab dually with 2 story condominium in the bed will be there, as well as quadz.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Labor Day is the one holiday weekend that we ALWAYS go, but I'm going to miss it this year. Truck is kaput and I'm spending all my free time trying to get it going again. Pismo isn't nearly as fun without your toys... </font color>