Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight adjustment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jan 3, 2007.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well im in a crappy mood now lol. A few days ago my left high beam light started aiming to the right, so today i figured i would fix it. HA the first turn i did on the screw stripped the little plastic holder out and it wouldnt hold it at all. So i went and grabbed some more of those little plastic holders off a spare core support i have and after stripping 3 of them out i gave up.

Anybody else have this problem???

Are these things a one use then no good anymore type of thing?

Where should i get new ones at??? I see lmc has them for like 2 bucks so i think i might order some from them later today.

Brad

2. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Local parts store should have them. I believe I've bought them before at NAPA, and for sure at Kragen's.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh, Ive seen em at just about every parts store. I aint never stripped one, but Ive broke my fair share, lean against a headlight, a branch thwacks one offroad, etc, and then your truck is crosseyed.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I got mine at autozone for $3 and some change.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

X2..

Yeah,parts stores carry SOME,in the "HELP" aisle--but bring an old one to match up--there are about 500 different styles of those dam headlight adjusters!..

I have found some "universal" ones,that are made of spring steel,and resemble those clip nuts used on front fenders,they have 2 small holes on either side of the adjusting screw--you drill 2 holes in the radiator support,and either screw or pop rivet them in--you'll never strip those out,if you dab some grease on the screw threads..

That said,I think the only "improvement" that the auto manufacturers made of any worth in the past 20 years is the switch to halogen bulbs like the 9004's, that you can change in seconds,without tools!,and without using torches to loosen the retaining ring screws,or having to take half the grill and bezel apart,torx screwdrivers,etc, like the older sealed beams..not much else has improved though,IMO...:(