Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevit, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a trick to doing this the proper way? I know if you are off by a few inches at 25 yards you will be way off at 100 yards.

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

count screw turns, lol

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Aim 'em til it looks good.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I always use 2 feet(knee height) off the ground at 25 feet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

thanks, how many screw turns is that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif j/k /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always adjust them using a garage door, make them same height spots on the door

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Park somewhere level, shine the lights on a wall measure the height to the middle of the headlight as well as between them. Put the high beams on and adjust until they are more or less dead ahead. Then switch back to low beams. The pattern should go in towards the center and down (2 headlight truck). Now that they're pointing straight ahead you can tinker up and down a bit depending on your truck's lift.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks, how many screw turns is that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif j/k /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    In your case, prolly close to 1000 turns /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    In your case, prolly close to 1000 turns /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and would that be clockwise or counter clockwise /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

and would that be clockwise or counter clockwise /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that would be clockwise or counter clockwise. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

but in which order... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I do the same thing. I get about 10-15 feet back from the garage door and aim them to match heigth on the door. Then back out and shine them down the road, drivers side down the center and passengers side down the ditch. If I can see the cross road 200 feet up I'm happy.
    I'm one of the Dick's that has bright driving lights set for 100 feet out too [​IMG]

14. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

There are two adjustment screws. The top one controls the up/down. The one on the side controls left/right. You'll find that the side screw is on the side of the truck that the fender is.

Do as everyone is suggesting. I pull 20 feet from the garage door and take a measuring tape and measure the center of the bulb to the cement floor. Then I measure the beam on the garage door and center the light to be parallel to the vehicle and a couple of inches down (like about 4 inches). You should find when you drive, that it is fairly close. Then fine tune the adjustment and you're done.

Top adjustment screw moves the beam up when you turn clockwise. The side adjustment screw moves the beam to the outside of the truck when turned clockwise.

[​IMG]

The picture sucks, but that's what you get at midnight.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good post, brother!!!!! I like to see a guy that goes the extra mile with a pic..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I really appreciate the comment.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif