Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Connector

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Jan 30, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I need a new connector for my low beam on my quad setup. If I cant find one at the parts place can I just use some female spades for now?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah you could, or just get one from a junk yard and splice it into the line /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

Maybe you could help me with the problem Muddytazz....

The ground connecter is kinda melted on the connecter. What would cause the area around the ground part to melt? Never blows fuses or anything.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good luck finding it...I was looking for one a while back and the dealer couldn't even find/get them. (I changed out a burnt-out bulb and the new one wasn't working all the time...turns out it wasn't making contact with the terminals in the connector, but I fixed it by just prying the terminals inward a bit) You could hook the lights up with spades, or, like Tazz said, get one from the junkyard.

Sorry, can't help you with the ground-terminal-melting problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

Well I called the local GM dealer a few months ago and even at wholesale cost (I work at a shop) they wanted 60 bucks...forget that.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Spades should work fine..thats what I'm running since I went to H-7's. The spade Ive got are totaly sealed when you put them together, I just use the female side.

Couldn't tell you why your ground would melt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    What would cause the area around the ground part to melt?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A loose connection will cause this. When the connection isn't tight, the current for the light is forced to travel through a smaller area of the connector. The current is too much for the small area and causes the metal to get hot, melting the plastic. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'd scrounge a junkyard for a new connector housing, then get the crimp connectors for the ends of the wires from the GM dealer. That's the only place I know of to get the correct connectors that are designed to lock into the housing. The last time I needed one, for the rear defrost connection on my S-Jimmy, the parts guy just gave it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

What other GM vechicles would have used this same connector?

9. Stickseler

You could goto the parts store and find the bulb # in the book and skim through it thill you see what else uses it. It might even be on the bulb box.

10. Stickseler

You could goto the parts store and find the bulb # in the book and skim through it thill you see what else uses it. It might even be on the bulb box.

11. daleearnhardt01

I went the cheap and easy route for now....female spades. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They used 4 headlight setups on the 80's Monte Carlo's and Cutlass, but I don't know that they were wired up the same as the trucks. (both plugs might be two prong)

13. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I think I still have a few if u need em....I haven't thrown the trash away yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif