Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Fuse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bear Creek, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Bear Creek

Bear Creek Registered Member

The headlights failed on my '79 K5. The problem turned out to be a broken wire at a splice near the starter terminal. I tracing out the wiring I did not see any Fuse protection. Does anyone know where it is located? I can splice a new piece of wire onto the leads, but first I would like to know if I am bypassing a fuseable link or if some other form of protection is used.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

that should pass through your fuse panel but i'm not 100% sure

3. Bear Creek

I have not been able to find a electrical drawing for it. There is not a fuse in the box labeled headlights. The largest fuse is a 25 amp. There is two 30 amp circuit breakers. One is label A/C the other is marked ACC. I am going to look some more tonight to see if I can trace the wires out.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If I remember right, the headlights are protected by the "ACC" breaker.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Bear Creek

I'll ohm it out to the broken wires to see if it is the right one. I tried to remove it last night but it didn't want to come out. Do these unplug like the fuses? Thanks for your help.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

They are supposed to pop out like a fuse, but are typically tighter - I usually give them a little persuasion with a pair of needlenoses.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The headlight switch has a "thermal overload" built into it. It resets after cooling off.....if the current draw is back to normal

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>