Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight keeps dying

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ThirdGenBlackbird, Dec 1, 2003.

1. ThirdGenBlackbird

ThirdGenBlackbird Newbie

May 1, 2003
    Hey guys, great forum you have here. I did a few searches but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I have a '79 k5 and recently the right headlight keeps goin' dead on me. It's only the low beam, and it usually kills the bulb the same day I replace it. The high beams still work fine.

I belive the problem started a couple of months ago when I clipped a state issued garbage can and I later notice that it chipped a bit of the bulb. I just took the bulbs off my '69 dart which (as far as I know) are the same. They fit fine and work fine (when I test them) but will always go dead on me. So, I've been driving around with either one headlight or my highbeams on. (Scared as hell to get pulled over since I have a bench warrant.)

Well, I ran out of spare bulbs and I want to get this problem fixed. I tested for voltage on the wires and it's getting plenty of power. I'm not familiar with how the headlights are set up yet. Where can I find the fusible links? How do I check what is actually wrong with the light or circuit? I'm going to test all the "bad" bulbs tomorrow with the left side connector just to make sure. Is it getting too much power? Just bad wiring? (I noticed I had to wiggle the wires right on the connector at first to get the light to go from VERY dim to normal.)

Electrical problems always kick my ass. I haven't even driven my firebird in months because of this kind of garbage. Any help is highly appreciated, thanks guys!

2. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Oct 26, 2003
    Sounds like a bad headlight connector. The thing is 24 years old, so a new one wouldn't hurt. You might try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner or a solution of baking soda and water (disconnect the battery first, and use a blow dryer to get all the water out before reconnecting the battery.)

I would also check the alternator belt to make sure it's tight. One other thing to check it for dried out, cracking or stiff insulation on the wires. It usually means the wires got too hot. Replace any that you find.

Good luck on your truck. You might want to consider talking to a lawyer about your legal issues.