Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlight options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Feb 15, 2002.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to replace the halogen sealed beam headlights on my '90 K5 (silverado) with something a little brighter. I wanted to do a H4 conversion or Wanger brite-lights, but neither of these are available for my 4103 low beams. Does anyone have some recommendations?? Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you seen the Xenarc system from Sylvania?

It's an HID system, that uses special bulbs and ballasts to provide a much brighter light output. EXPENSIVE though....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I installed the Bosch halogen conversion kit on my 84 and have to say that it was some of the best money I spent on my truck. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the kit I used isn't legal in the US.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

4. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

Go to autobulbdepot.com. this is were I got my sealed beam to non sealed beam conversion and you can pick the type and brand of bulb you want to use.

5. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I already checked autobulbdepot.com and they don't offer anything that fits the 4703 sized opening. And as nice as the HID's are (I have them in another vehicle), the cost is waaaaay too high. What I may try and do is take an old sealed beam and cut a hole in the back to fit a 9006 bulb.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just an FYI - The cut of the glass lens and the reflective surface inside is just important as the power of the bulb. The good conversion kits have lenses that are designed to throw and control the light better. My Bosch kit actually limits how high the light shines off the road. On a dark night in the woods you can see a very distinct line where the light is "cut-off" on the trees as you drive......

Although the higher strentgh bulb will throw off more light inside a sealed-beam lens, the QUALITY of the light won't be much better.

I hope I explained this so you can understand what I'm trying to say.[​IMG]

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>