Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlight out....heater doesn't work?...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Feb 8, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

headlight out....heater doesn\'t work?...

i have done searches on these subjects and have not been able to find my answer.

1) I am a novice with working on my truck so bear with me. my left headlight went out on me. but it is weird because when i flash my brights the light works. I have an 87 so it has the four lights in the front one over another. it seems to me that it would be a fuse but i haven't been able to find it. any help would be great.

2) MY heater blows bone chilling cold. Could it be my heater core. If i remember correctly the shop that works on my truck once said i had a clogged hose. could that be it?

thanks

baja surf nazi

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Re: headlight out....heater doesn\'t work?...

Try wiggling the plug on the back of the headlight..if that doesn't work replace it. As far as the heater, your thermostat is probably stuck..I would flush the cooling system and change the thermostat. No fuse that I ever heard of in the headlight system. BTW..do you have a temperature gauge?

"I'm not stuck...I'm just being as ONE with nature"

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If I remember right, the low beam bulb on those 4-light setups actually has 2 filaments. One for low beam and another for high beam. The other light also comes on with the high beams. Take a look at the back of the light that isn't working. If it has 3 connectors, then there are two filaments and the low beam filament is burned out. Install a new bulb and all will be well.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yes i do have a temperature guage. when my radiator isn't LEAKING she stays nice and cool.

baja surf nazi

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The 4 headlight setup has two lights with 2 filaments. The top lights are those. On low only those top lights are on. On high, the lower lights come on, and the top ones "switch" to the other filament. Thats why the light works on high beam. Low gets the most usage typically.

I would check your engine compartment and see ifyou even have hoses GOING to your heater core. To fix a heater core leak, people will just remove the lines to the heater core. If it doesn't have hoses to it, I guess you could try hooking some up, but I'd be willing to bet the heater core is leaking.

If you do have hoses, check to see that both of them are warm to the touch after you run the truck for awhile. It always has hot water running through it, it is the dash switch that determines whether air passes over it, or outside air is used inside. if the hoses are hot, but you still aren't getting hot air, I would suspect your heater box or switch on the dash as the culprit..when you switch it to heat, for some reason it is not moving the deflector in the heater box to route the incoming air over the heater core.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>