Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlight project all finished! - long

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Mar 4, 2002.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

If you bothered to read my last post, you know that I was looking for some brighter than stock headlights for my 1990 K5 with the 4 light system. Unfortunately, there is NO selection whatsoever for these smallish 4703/4701 sealed beams. After much looking on the internet, I finally found a kit from that fits into the old sealed beam openings, but actually has a hole cut into the back of the housing allowing the use of modern H7 capsule-style bulbs. There is an o-ring included to keep out moisture and also a locking system to hold the H7 buld in place. You can get the conversion housing for low and/or high beams. The glass lenses are a little different between the two, obviously.

Anyway, I can now use any of literally several dozen H7 bulbs on the market. You can go with wagner brite lites, the fake "xenon" bulbs, PIAA's, etc... Everything looks dead stock unless you use a blue tinted bulb, which is slightly visible inside the housing from certain angles. As far as wiring goes, it is possible to cut off the stock plastic connectors and simply replace them with female blade connectors, but for higher wattage bulbs, a relay is the way to go. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, but hopefully you get the idea. I may try and borrow a friends camera later this week to post some photos. I would highly recommend this modication to any 89-91 blazer/jimmy/sub owners who are tired of our lame factory setups and don't want to hang all kinds of aftermarket lights everywhere. Oh yeah, the housings are from www.autooptiks.com and the bulbs are available everywhere.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Awesome sight !! It seems to provide some really good lighting information. I have been looking for an upgrade like this for a while. If you can get some pics, that would be cool...
    btw, fill in your profile...

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

What sort of price on all the pieces parts? How long did it take?
    I'd be interested in the pics as well as details of how you did it. Sounds like a great conversion for my 91 Sub!
    Thanks!

4. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

where did you get the lamps i wanted to get brighter ones for my 91 k5....i need some more info/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look closer at the line sentence in his post. The web site is there. Just click and go! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, here's the deal:
    The conversion housing looks just like the regular sealed beams from the front and is clamped in place with the factory hardware, but in the back, there is a hole where a H7 bulb snaps in. These are $50 per pair from www.autooptiks.com, so if you wanted to do the low and high beams, it would cost $100.00 That does not include the H7 bulbs, however. These can cost anywhere from $5 each for auto parts store cheapies up to over $100 each for imported PIAA's. One quick note: While I applaud the autooptiks housings, I would not recommend using the bulbs advertised on their website. They are kind of cheaply made and will likely burn out quickly. Go elsewhere for these.

Anyway, you could probably have everything installed in less than an hour (half hour?) if you just cut off the plastic factory headlight connectors and crimp on some female blade terminals. Mine took a while longer though because I used relays due to the higher-than-stock wattage bulbs I chose. Might have gotten away with the old stuff, but melted wiring isn't too attractive to me! Also, I took my time and soldered every connection and used heat shrink tubing everywhere. Oh yeah, you will probably need to re-align all of your headlights afterward. Total cost for this little endeavor was about $160.00 and it took a little under three hours.

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Sweet...I've been looking for this conversion to enhance my factory headlights on my '91 for a while!!!

Thanks!!!

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

kewl. I found some lights at napa that fit into my '79 blazer. Real nice! They've got enough of a blue tint to make the light a white light instead of yellow. Good headlights are a blessing, huh? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif