Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight/Radio/Electric Problem.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevydan3, Feb 8, 2006.

1. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Alright guys. When I hit the headlight switch to turn on the headlights, my radio dies and loses all the memory stations, time, settings etc. Then when I am driving, sometimes my stereo just dies and my headlights flicker. Driving home tonight, my headlights/radio completely shut off twice for about 20 seconds. Now the common factor here is that both the headlights, and the 12v constant for the radio, are drawing power from the constant hot, not the switched hot. So what is the deal, my connections look good at the starter, junction block and under the dash. I found a link to a wiring diagram when I searched on this subject and it says the the cig lighter is connected to the hot for the headlights, could my cig lighter be causing all of this. Am I drawing too much power, do I need a thicker wire to the fuse box, or does this sound like a connections problem? This is driving me nuts.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Cig lighters do cause problems. I replaced my lighter early on. Don't recall anymore what weird thing it was causing. It's a cheap fix, so might as well, and check the wiring to it. Also check your grounds all around.

3. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I pretty much narrowed it down to the headlight switch, so I will change that and see what happens.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, I've changed that out too.