Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlight switch q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

headlight switch q\'s

I lost all function in my tailights except for dim blinkning with headlights off. I pulled the headlight switch as instructed, and discovered the plug that plugs into it has a couple melted/burned spots. Any way to know if this is a symptom or cause of the problem? How could it get hot enough to do that w/o blowing a fuse somewhere? Is the stop/turn fuse supposed to be a 15a? Thanks guys/gals.

2. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: headlight switch q\'s

Resistance in a circuit builds up heat, but lowers amp draw. If a connector is loose it can build up enough heat to burn the connector. Same goes for the switch if contacts are faulty heat will build up and burn the weakest part, usually the connector or the wire. This problem will not blow the fuse because the resistance that produces the problem will actually reduce the amperage draw. Bottom line, I would look at replacing the switch and the connector.