Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Switch -> Toggle Switch Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xdelirious45x, Jun 18, 2004.

1. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

Is it possible to convert your headlight switch to a toggle switch. I have a 1988 Chevy Blazer. I have the 4 headlights total. I want to hook up the top headlights to a toggle switch and the bottom ones to a toggle switch. The reason being, I think it will be easier to turn one or the other on if not both, and I think it will be easier if there is a wiring problem. Would I be able to just transfer the power and ground wires from the headlight switch now?
    I asked a friend and he said I could, but when I turn on high beams, the bottom lights come on so will I be able to just disconnect the wires?

2. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I'm not trying to be facetious or a wise a$$, but you can do whatever you want. Anything is possible if you have the know how, money and or time. You just need to have the correct wiring kit or the know how on how to hook it up yourself correctly using your own "kit."

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look closely at the plug on the back of the top headlights. See those THREE wires? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The top set of lamps contain a dual filament bulb. One focused for low beam and the other focused for high beam. Switching to high beam changes which filament is on in the top lamps, and also turns on the lower lamps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'd leave it like it is. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

here is a quick and dirty diagram for you. this will also make your headlights brighter most likely as it will cut voltage loss if you keep the relays close to the headlights.

[​IMG]