Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Switch woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rev, Oct 29, 2004.

1. rev

rev Guest

I realize that this may be an ignorant question, but here goes. I have an 1986 M1009 Blazer, and I've been having a helluva time trying to replace the headlight knob. The dang thing just won't click into place. I've already bought a new knob and new switch, tested the two in the store, where they clicked together fine....but can't seem to do the same thing when it's in the truck. Any help out there? Thanks!

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you pushing the little spring loaded button on the switch when installing the knob??.It "locks"into the shaft on the knob near the end,shaft wont go in without depressing that button on it--it helps if you have 3 foot long arms when installing this part!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. rev

rev Guest

Well...it turned out to be a matter of fiddling with the switch over and over, getting frustrated & walking away from it. Repeat more or less daily for 10 minutes for a week. Remove switch from truck. Practice inserting knob (I think that is what did it...the switch seems to have been slightly mis-aligned). Replace switch in truck. Insert knob.

Whoopee! Now I can drive at night.
    Thanks for the help!