Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight upgrade/replacement for these trucks

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by afroman006, Dec 20, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The headlights in my 98 crewcab are pathetic and I've had enough with them. I am going to replace the headlight housings and figure I'll upgrade the bulbs while I'm at it. What are the part numbers for the good stuff and where can I get em? Thanks.

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have been using sylvania silverstar bulbs. I've been happy with them. I also added a relay to keep the low beams on with the high beams. Lights up the night real good. My low beam was a 9006, and high beam was a 9005, but the trucks differed alot so you should probobly pop the housing out and check. Just pull the two 5mm studs sticking straight up off, and the housing is out.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have several things done to improve lighting on my 98...

1) Kennedy Diesel Headlight Booster. Totally new wiring harness for headlights that keeps them all 4 on with high's and also draws power directly from alternator. You could make it yourself but this one is done really nice. http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=55

2) I have Wagner TrueView bulbs in the housings. I like them better than Silverstars and they seem to be more resistant to vibration failure than the Silverstars.

3) I put some diamond clear housings in mainly for looks but they actually increased output a little.

4. afroman006

How much did all that cost you?

5. daleearnhardt01

I believe the Kennedy Harness is ~ $130, like I said you could wire it up yourself but his is nicely done and frankly I wanted plug and play. The bulbs retail for around the same price as Silverstars, CarQuest has those. Housings are around $120.

Granted I got most of this for Christmas, I wouldve paid for it all myself if I hadnt gotten them. I can see so much better now its unreal. They might even be too bright, people are always flashing me thinking I have my highs on when really its just the lows. And lemme tell you when I crank down on those highs and all 4 lamps come on you better not be lookin at that truck cause you'll be blinded..

6. afroman006

Are those your headlights in you avatar with the quad lights? I like the idea...

7. daleearnhardt01

Yeah thats them, heres some better pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. afroman006

I thought you had quad headlights. Still looks cool though.

9. daleearnhardt01

Now that would be very cool to see....

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have the same headlights as Chris, and I also have the TYC parking lamps also. I like them more now that I have adjusted them better. I have Silverstars that I installed at the same time, and one burned out WAY too soon, but had replaced under "warranty" (thanks again Chris!). I had my buddy that installs 3M paint protection film send me a headlight kit to add some protection from rocks (after the picture, but it really is clear):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. daleearnhardt01

I might need to get some of that 3M stuff for mine...

12. afroman006

So where did yall get your headlight housings? Also, does anyone know about the tweaking out blinker syndrome these trucks experience? I know it happens to all of them but I dont know how to fix it. I've heard something about the bulb mount on the back, is it the plate that holds the bulbs and screws to the tail light housing? On my truck, the right blinker does the fast-blink thing, and the rear doesnt blink, but the front does. I replaced all the bulbs on that side but it didnt help. Thanks

13. daleearnhardt01

Got the housings here.. http://truckperformance.com/

Most likey the problem is with the circuit board, it is very common for those to go bad. You may be able to fool with it a bit and get it to work, I dunno

14. afroman006

Circuit board? Are you talking about that plate that screws to the back of the tail light housing that holds the bulbs? Thanks

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is exactly what Chris is referring to.

16. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Projectors and clears

I got new projectors and they work PERFECTLY!!!!
    I am also running LEDS in my corner lights with clear lens and am going to try and find multi-LEDs for the bumper lights as well...lower amp draw, brighter and thousands of hours of use....
    The projectors are running 50w H4s and I am going to swap them for a whiter bulb, not brighter, these cast more forward light that the 80w bulbs I have in the old lenses. The other plus is the clear bumper lights are brighter as well.
    I also have low beam relays to keep the lows beams on when the high beams come on...my high beams are 130w PIAA super whites...

17. afroman006

Well I ordered the headlight housings today so I'm good to go there. I went and bought a new circuit board from vatozone and installed it but it didnt fix my problem. Did I miss something? I put new bulbs in too. I'll probably fart around with a wire brush and some dielectric grease tomorow.