Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Before I bought the Suburban someone had smashed in the grill a little bit so the headlights do not align and due to age and abuse the plastic chrome is pealing. SO... I have ordered all the replacement parts to make the front end all new and shiny. I figured that while I am doing this I may as well also upgrade the headlights.

I have the dual, side by side, little headlights. I am wondering if there is a kit out there that will change them from sealed beam to housing and bulb type setup. And while I am at it I was wondering if there is a kit that will allow me to put in high/low bulbs in all four headlights.

I know that I can do the wiring and such myself. But if there is someone out there who has already done this or who makes a kit, I may as well save time and get it that way.

Thanks

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id skip the 4 low beam/high beam thing, and just install relays to get more voltage to the existing lights. search for the relay thing and you'll find lots of info. i went from 12 volts or so to alternator voltage when i did mine.

unless you've already done that.

3. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Oh no, now you have started speaking in electricianese. And I only speak engineerian. So I am going to need some, no strike that, LOTS of additional information to make that happen.

I will of course do some searching as you suggested. But if you already know some links, then please cut&paste a few for me to get started with.

Thanks

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

LMC has kits to do all of the above.

Relays, whether kit or homebrew, will put big fat wires of short length to get more juice to the headlights, as opposed to skinny wires going from the battery into the cab and back to the headlights. More juice = brighter :)

See, I speak engineer -- actually, I was supposed to be an EE but somehow never made it. ANYWAY...

There are kits to replace the sealed beams with the replaceable halogens. Haven't done this yet myself, it's on the list.

Also, for four-headlight systems there are relay kits to make the low beams come on with high. Painless makes one (pricey), Summit sells a generic one, and I think LMC has one.

All it is is a relay, so you if you were gonna do the relay thing for your lights (good idea for the halogens anyway) you could just wire the output of the highbeam one to the coil of the lowbeam one and put a diode before that to the lowbeam ... or do it with a kit if you don't like solid state :D

A lengthy post of mine with some good info and links can be found

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164429

-- A

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status