Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlight wire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 10, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I got all my H4's in (top and bottom) and Im goning to re-wire the highbeams(lower lights) to a switch I was gonna do them in a series but then realized that wouldent be very bright so decided im going to do them parrallel, My question is is 14awg wire gonna be enough for the main power wire (I know it will be plenty going off to each light) and what AMP fuse should I start off with?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I ran 12g for power thru the 30A relays. I think I used 20 amp fuses on the power lines and 3 amp fuses for the switches.

3. [ QUOTE ]
    I was gonna do them in a series but then realized that wouldent be very bright so decided im going to do them parrallel

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't be bright in more ways than one. The obvious one, the one I'm sure you've thought about, is that if one goes out they all go out. The other being that the resistance increases when you put them in series, therefore the voltage across each light isn't 12V and not being as bright.

The amperage all depends on how many watts your lights are and if you have it set up to have both high and lows to come on at the same time. Post that info and we're set. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    You can easily wire your lows to come on when you hit the high beams useing a standard auto relay.

Connect the 30 terminal to battery power.
    Connect the 85 terminal to ground.
    Connect the 87 terminal to the low beam headlight prong(just splice it in to factory wiring)
    Run a spliced wire off of one of the HIGH BEAM wires and connect that to the 86 terminal on the relay.

The spliced wire coming from the high beam wire will "trigger" the relay and supply power to the low beam when the high beams are turned on.

5. You mean like this or this ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Those diagrams are if you want to wire your headlight system with realys.This will give you more juice to the headlights(brighter).

What I had described is along the same lines but slightly different.

You will still be using the factory circiut to power the low + high beams.The only difference will be when the high beams are on they will "trigger" the relay to supply 12 volts to the low beams,turning them on too.

When the low beams are on the factory circiut will supply power to the low beams.
    When the high beams are on the factory circiut will be supplying power to the high beams.It's just that it will trigger the relay as well.

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Rockin,the first link to the schematic is pretty well what I mean.Just ignore the upper two realys in that diagram.
    The relay at the bottom of that diagram has the main power to the 87 terminal and the feed to the lights at the 30 terminal...that should actually be the other way around.

Main power to the relay is ALWAYS to the 30 terminal.
    Feed to the low beams should be from the 87 terminal.