Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights and stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's the easiest way to make my headlights a little brighter on my 83? I don't need super bright, just like normal headlights. They seem so dim by today's standards.

Also, I have the dual headlights. If I wanted could I just buy the front from an older K5 (with the round headlights) and bolt it on, or would it not fit in? What parts would I need, if any, besides the grill and headlight trim?

I'm not real thrilled with the looks of the dual headlights and grill with the little painted strip down the middle... just kinda curious what it would take to change it.

2. aburnett

aburnett Registered Member

I replaced my '77 factorys with a $14 pair of halogens several yeasr ago, made all the difference. Im sure they have better stuff now.

3. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine with the new Hlaogen "blue" lights (or called something like that) I only put new ones in my driving lights, not my lower high beams. The "blue" ones are MUCH better.
    PLus, it is not a bad idea to make sure your ground is good.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dont bother with the blue. THey "Look" brighter but do not acutally put out more light. There are some exceptions to the rule, but the lights are also a lot more expensive (like 50-60 bucks, rather than the el cheapo blue light bulbs)

Best way to upgrade lights, is to do a H1 or H4 seaaled beam conversion. Then you can use any light bulb. My hella kit was pretty bright, much brighter than my old "halogen" sealed beam. I then went a step further, and upgraded to HID. It was a chunk of change, but the extra light is pricesless. I consider it cheap insurance so that some damn honda doesnt say he doesnt see me when Im driving.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There was a light display at the local chain auto store, which had 3 lights, I think all were Sylvania. One was pretty obviously the same "style" we have in the trucks. Light given off could best be described as orange.

The next "step up" was the same light style, but the filament was obviously different. (blacked out for lack of better description) The light it gave off was much more "white". Problem was, I went back and forth turning them on, but in the lit store, it was impossible to tell which light was really more effective. Probably why they feel comfortable with them in a "test" station.

I didn't check the price, maybe these are the "blue" ones, or maybe not. You or anyone have any input on "upgraded" sealed beam lights? Guess I could check Sylvania's sight or something, but I'm feeling lazy.

6. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont bother with the blue. THey "Look" brighter but do not acutally put out more light. There are some exceptions to the rule, but the lights are also a lot more expensive (like 50-60 bucks, rather than the el cheapo blue light bulbs)

Best way to upgrade lights, is to do a H1 or H4 seaaled beam conversion. Then you can use any light bulb. My hella kit was pretty bright, much brighter than my old "halogen" sealed beam. I then went a step further, and upgraded to HID. It was a chunk of change, but the extra light is pricesless. I consider it cheap insurance so that some damn honda doesnt say he doesnt see me when Im driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the sealed beam conversion involve? Do they sell it at chain auto parts stores, or what?

Thanks.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Adding a relay brightens up the headlights too. The H4 sealed beams also make it brighter but I think they are about $100 each. I'm not sure if the H4 needs the relay too, but if it doesn't then add it.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

csk Auto headlight options

I might eventually try the silverstars, but $25/each seems a little pricey, especially compared to the $10/each standard ones. Or all the spares I've got laying around.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

10. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    csk Auto headlight options

I might eventually try the silverstars, but $25/each seems a little pricey, especially compared to the $10/each standard ones. Or all the spares I've got laying around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the $25, but do you need the $800 upgrade thing too? Holey moley!

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just bought a set of Hella's. Replacement's for sealed beam's. Come with H4 bulb's, Simple installation, no relay, $81.00 with tax.

Central 4x4 has em.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats the one, the h4 conversion. Mine are hella, so whereever you can find a Hella dealer, they can get those for you. anywhere from 75->100 dollars. Once you get that, and you still need more light, you can then get the HID ballast and upgrade after. But the H4 must come first.

13. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

ive got the silverstars in one of my low beams (the other one has stripped screws) and it is pretty bright. its the brightest light out of all four.

edit: is there a website for any of these cconversions? i cant find anything about them on hella's website

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .... is to do a H1 or H4 seaaled beam conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So as to hopefully head off any confusion, Any of the headlights that use a separate bulb from the lense-reflector are not Sealed Beam. Sealed Beams are the old style light where you replace the whole unit when it goes bad. Any light that uses a 9000 series or H series bulb is a halogen light and not a sealed beam. Halogen's will put out much more light than even athe sealed beam halogen.

Do a search on the relay upgrade. I think Painless(full) even offers a kit for this. I know there is at least one write-up on an Early BRonco page out there somewhere.
    If you opt for higher wattage bulbs the relays are a must or you will kill either the stock headlight switch or the wiring. Stock wattage is 55 watt low, 60 watt high. You can buy H4 bulbs as high as 100/160, but don't expect them to last very long. I run 55/100's in the Sub & the yoter.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ahh, your right. Sorry, brain fart, yes, h1/h4's are not sealed beam. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My HID kit was relay controlled. Plus, HID's use less power than most lights. So its better for your electrical system.

I'd stay away from such high wattage bulbs... just the fry factor is scary!