Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights and Texas Lift Laws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jackedup86GMC, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Jackedup86GMC

Jackedup86GMC Registered Member

Ok, so Texas measures the lift of a truck at the headlights, which as I understand it can not be over 54" at the center. So anyone got any good ideas on getting my truck legal again. I was thinking of getting some snowplow headlights and mounting them below the bumper, but that looks like $h!t, IMHO. I am also thinking about putting them in the bumper, any ideas on how to go about doing this? Any other ideas that I haven't listed? Any help is appreciated.:bow:

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Get it inspected somewhere else. Ive never heard of it being inforced, but if anything, wire up some running lights under the bumper that come on with the park lamps, that should get you legal again.

3. Jackedup86GMC

I have been stopped for this before, never got a ticket but I did get a warning. Not worried about the inspection, because me truck is still good till January. Thanks any way, any other ideas, and thanks again.

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

just curious. how much lift do you have? and the size of tires?

5. Jackedup86GMC

Well, when I was stopped and given the warning it was on a 12" superlift and 38.5 M/T Baja Claws. Soon it will have an 18" Atlas lift and 44" TSL's. So I know it will be way over then.

6. SUPERSUB87

so you really need all that lift for 44's :thinking: im thinking bout putting a 12" lift on one of my burbs soon so i guess i need to be thinking bout that 2.

7. Jackedup86GMC

I will let you know once I get everything put together. I am sure you could get away with 12" suspension and 3" body lifts and be fine. I just didn't want any rubbing at all, that's why I went that high. Still waiting on the wheels so I can get the tires mounted. Had to switch to a divorced 205 to correct the driveline angles up front. A lot of other little things had to get changed also. PM me if you want more info. Also, where are you in Texas?

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

What I would do is take the front off an 84 ish model and put the lights in your bumper. I guess you could use any if you just wanted low beams.

9. SUPERSUB87

i live around victoria. sounds sweet. you had to change to a divorced 205 for the 12'' or 18"??? im trying to be as cheap as possible?

10. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

The 81-82 bumpers were the ones with the blinker holes in the bumper. Which would bring you down about a foot.. You would almost mount the snow plow lights behind the bumper, except you wouldnt have room for the outter bumper brackets.

11. Jackedup86GMC

Oh, I see what your saying. I didn't quite understand what he meant earlier when he said the front of an 84ish model. Ok now it makes sense. I will look into it.

Supersub87: I had to go to a divorced 205 for the 18" lift. The original 208 worked fine with the 12" lift, but you will have to either get a new front driveshaft, or grind the heck out of your old one.