Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights Brighter ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kamots, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Hey guys, im working all hours an was wondering if there is anyway to make my Quad headlights any brighter. Is there a newer brighter bulb replacement or do i need to replace the whole 4 sealed units. Anything would have to be better........TIA /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I put some Sylvannia Xtra Vision bulbs in my 79 and they helped a lot. But of course I had the old incandescent type bulbs in it before.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Install some relays in your headlight circuit and you will no longer have any problems.

4. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Relays? tell me about these please......

5. Waxer

6. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Thanks man. looks like i have another project...weeeee

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Waxer

yah you can get the relay's from the boneyard. I found a sweet set from a Nissan Work Truck. Found others with a insulated panel on a Chrysler Minivan (I think it was)

They are pretty standard so you can get them from about anything. Only diff's you'll see is whether or not they have something to mount them with, whether they are plastic or metal. Need anymore help feel free to email the guy on that link or send me a PM.

I have yet to install mine still, just been busy with higher priority projects.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here is a diagram of my headlight mod. This will let you run all four headlights when your hi-beams are on instead of just the two. [​IMG]

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

HOLY SCARINESS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I hate electrical junk...and especially relays. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But why use the third relay? Just wire a diode from either the "high out" of your headlight switch or from the high beam power to the "low out" wire and then the low beam relay will engage in either setting, as long as your headlight switch is on.

Just a thought because relays are more expensive and also wear out.

Oh yeah, for anyone doing this mod, the whole idea is to use higher gauge cable (10 is good) and mount the relays so that the amount of wire running from the battery to the relays to the headlights is minimized. For all other wiring, the length and size is not critical, as they are signals and only need to drive about 0.2Amps.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I love relays. They basically get more power to your lights.
    And they protect your switches.
    I have relays on everything in my truck.
    Electricals are not that hard if you just take your time to look at them.
    It's pure logic, unless you don't have that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why would you hate relays?

They are a simple on/off switch, with the addition of a "trigger" wire(s) that allow the actual switch (such as the headlight switch) to not have to carry the load, nor have thick wires running as far...

It makes more sense to have one or two very small wires (for relay "on/off") running from the headlight switch to a relay, and short heavier gauge wires running from the battery to the relay to the headlights, than it does to have a heavy gauge (and long, so more "voltage drop") wire from the battery (or fuse panel,etc) to the headlight switch to the headlights.

Think of how short the headlight power feeds can be if you have a relay right at the battery. Essentially only thin long wires from the headlight switch to the relay, and short wires from the battery to the relay to the headlights.

BTW, '88+ C/K trucks use good sized relays for the fuel pump and other items, as do the Camaro's from about '88-up, both of which have mounting brackets.

13. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Best mod I have done to date was to add the Hella H4/H1 headlights. I made the relay harness, but have yet to put it in after 3 years. The lights are so good, even without the harness. They are not "Dot" approved, but I have not had any issues...yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The harness that I made is exactly done as the diagram above, I purchased 30 amp relays and holders...used 12 gauge wire, etc. Some day I will have the ambition to finish this.

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

They are a simple on/off switch

[/ QUOTE ]
    More connections to check when something is not workings....More wires!

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually it's less connections to worry about since they take the load off.
    When you run relays, your electric worries go away, believe me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, you ask...let me tell you.
    I bought a set of Hella 550 driving lights from Summit for $80. Mounted them under my rear bumper and never got the damn things to work. The instructions sucked, the customer service at Hella sucked, and you guessed it - there was a stupid relay. I kept hooking the thing up per the directions and blew the 30 amp in line fuse every time I connected it to the power source. So, I tore all that Hella crap off my truck, went to Wal-mart, bought some "blazer" driving lights, mounted those under my rear bumper, wired them, and they work great. Guess what....NO RELAY /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    So, now do you understand why I hate relays? I've got a worthless-to-me $80 set of Hella lights sitting in my garage, wiring and all. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Who wants them?

17. dyeager535

The instructions sucked, the customer service at Hella sucked, and you guessed it - there was a stupid relay. I kept hooking the thing up per the directions and blew the 30 amp in line fuse every time I connected it to the power source.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically everything you got from that company sucked. Not a reason to blame every relay on the planet, especially when likely every vehicle on the planet being made (with warranties) use many, many relays.

Basing your decision on one relay is like saying alternators suck because you had a 15 year old constantly used alternator fail. Things fail, and that will never change. You got a bad part, blame the manufacturer, not the theory of operation.

18. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know not all relays are bad. They obviously aren't because many vehicles use them, like you said.
    I just choose to go around them whenever possible, and that's my opinion. I'm not trying to strike up an argument, I'm just giving my own personal opinion based on my own personal experience.
    The same way you can say, "I love relays, I use them all the time, blah blah blah," I feel I should be able to say, "relays suck."

19. dyeager535

Don't worry, no arguments here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (unless you call me a liar or an idiot lol)

I personally like that we are ALL allowed to offer our opinions and thoughts, its not like personal opinion can be thought of as "wrong".

I have no relays on my truck right now, but with the electric fan install, I will. Hopefully I don't have problems like you did. But I'll be using GM stuff, hopefully its held to slightly higher quality control standards, but you never know. At least the 'yard let me have a bunch for free.

20. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

If ya really wanna make em brighter and have some cash laying around (like $500) go get a sylvania High Intensity Discharge (HID) kit for your truck. They run 450-500 and produce much more light (and your truck will be using new technology) The only downside is they're expensive and require ballasts to bump voltage from 12v all the way to 85v and even 25,000v.