Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights Flicker/Dim Chev 2005 Trailblazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave1, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

When driving at night I have noticed that the headlights on my 2005 LT Chevy Trailblazer flicker and dim intermittently. When this happens the voltmeter fluxuates dropping from 14 down to 8-10 volts then back up again. All of this occurs in a second or two then back to normal. It may do again in a minute or two or might not do it again until the next night/morning.

Any ideas what the problem may be? My first thoughts are that something is grounding or shorting out.

Have there been any factory service bulletins or alerts issued for a problem such as this in this vehicle?

I sure would hate to have to take it to a dealer and give them a blank check.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave (in Central Fla)

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sounds like something is shorting out somewhere.
    2005? You know it came with 3 years/36,000mi full coverage warranty right? You already have 36,000 mi on it?

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wifes 99 Tahoe does this as well. I think it is the crappy side post battery terminals. I have cleaned them and retightened them and it seems to go away for awhile.

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

like he said it might be dirty connections on the battery...maybe they are corroded and are getting minimum contact?

5. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

I looked it over again and could find nothing that was lose or looked suspicious. Took it to the local Chev dealer and left it for a day. They drove it on the road for five miles and said they could not see or find anything wrong with it. Don't know if they did any intense searching or dianostics or not.

It may not be anything serious but it is a problem that we should not have with a nearly new vehicle with only 12K miles. It needs to be corrected and I would think it would be the dealer's responsibility. Just not sure where to go from here. :confused:

Dave

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I was thinking it should be under warranty too. Being a 2005 and all.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner