Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights go out when switching to High Beams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

It doesn't happen every time, but when I pull up on the lever to switch to high beams, sometimes all of the headlights will go completely out.:confused: If i pull the lever in again they usually come right back on. I can get it to switch between hi and lo beam, but it will do this too. Is this also controlled by the turn signal switch that is in the steering column? Does it sound like that's just old and worn?

Thanks!
    matt

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The actual switch is at the bottom of the column, controlled by a rod from the turn lever...

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Have you checked that your Hi-beams are any good? run a jumper from normal beam to hi-beam to check.... What year and what style of head lights are we talking about?

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

they should still be good. Its an 85 with the vertically stacked lights on each side, high beam only lights being on bottom. i replaced them with just a set from advanced like the top ones that do both high and low beam. I only wired up the ground and high beam connector to turn on the high beams for the bottom two lights.

they all do work, just sometimes when switching between low or high they go out. which makes me think its something more to do with what switches between the high and low than the lights themselves... though i could be wrong..

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bad dimmer switch...I had that happen to my Jimmy a few years back. Got to switch to brights and all of sudden i have no lights at all. Replaced the dimmer switch and it's all good now.

Rene

6. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

thanks rene... ( again..lol).. im having that issue...... i'll change the switch...