Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights, or lack of them......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midnight473, Jul 8, 2003.

1. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

Recently pulled my dimmer to turn on the high beams, when I did, there was a surge and I lost all 4 headlights.

1988 K5, 350TBI. I have since been able to get my low beams back, but when I try the highs, there is nothing. I have checked power to the switch and out of the light switch and it's good.

I have power to the low beam socket, but not the high beams at the core support. Someone told me that the dimmer switch shouldn't be energized because it only functions to switch ground from low to high and there shouldn't be power to it.

If that is true, shouldn't my high beam socket + wire be energized 100% of the time as with the low beam +? If that's the case, can I just piggyback the positve power from another source temporarily until I get it fixed correctly?

I also have noted that when I click the dimmer, I do lose power at the low beam socket which means if the theory of the ground switching is true, that's not functioning right.

Any help is appreciated in advance. THANKS!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Your headlites are hooked up with constant +12v, not switched, so you + wire should have power to it all the time. Sounds like your headlite switch is bad.

3. midnight473

Is there a trick to getting it out of the dashboard? A special tool to tack the knob off so that it pushes through the hole? I can steal the one off my 79 to test it, but don't want to break them in case there isn't anything wrong with it.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Reach in under the dash, and on the left side of the switch (drivers door side) is a little button to push in as you pull the light switch knob out, then the actually switch just unscrews from the dash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. midnight473

Thank you, I will try that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif