Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights pulsin and diesel sugin......

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by k5blazin, Feb 12, 2005.

1. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

ive been having some unusual qwerks with my 6.2 lately. it seems like when im just crusing down the road goin 45-50 my headlights and dashlights pulse. i look at my volt guage while this is going on and the needle is just about to the yellow portion to the right in the guage. the needle moves back and forth to the pulsing of my lights. do you think this is an alternator problem or something deeper in the wiring. just to let you know the truck sat for two years before i bought it.

another issue is that the motor surges sometimes when im just pulling out or goin up a hill. there feels to be a big boost of power for a little then goes away. it only happens when the throttle is in a certain position so im thinkin the injector pump is takin a dump. the pump does leak out of what looks to be the throttle shaft. i changed the primary filter but that didnt help any. any ideas??

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Check the ground from the body to the engine block. That caused my headlights to flicker.

3. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Ok ill check that today.

4. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

A bad ground will definitely cause problems for you. You could also check the hot lead that goes from the starter solenoid up to the fuse block. On these diesels, there is only 1 hot lead which powers all of the accessories. If necessary, you can always take your alternator to an auto zone or checker or whatever and they should check it for free.

5. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

same here...

my truck has bein doing the same exact thing, it's really annoying after awhile.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ditto on the hot lines going to the starter. Mine had other things start to fail after a bit.