Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlights quit - is there a headlight relay?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Apr 24, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I know that's probably a dumb question, but I don't know. I can see what appears to be my hazard relay and my turn signal relay, but it looks like there is a third relay or box or something on the fuse box.
    The markings on my box are somewhat faded and hard to ead.
    The fuse box is from something like a 77-79 k10 (it has bus fuses not glass fuses.)
    Can anyone think of another reason my dealights would not work? They were working fine until I took the truck and and beat the snot out of it.
    My brake lights work, my turn and hazard lights come on when I turn on the headlights, but the headlights themselves are dark.
    I tried jiggling both headlight sockets, but it didn;t do anything. Both headlights are a few months old and I just can't believe they boith went dead at the same time no matter how hard I beat on the old truck.
    -- Mike

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

pull the headlight socket and check for electricity with your multimeter, or check continuity on your headlights

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The headlight switch has a built-in relay (?) or something to that effect. Anyway, you have to replace the switch, as there is no way of resetting it.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

could be contamination on the contacts in the switch.
    pull it and rip it open, clean the contacts and apply silicon dielectric grease.
    to disassemble you have to bend a couple tabs.
    could be wrong mine has old glass fuse wiring

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Check your high beam switch on the floor, thats happened to me in the past. Sounds exactly like it.

6. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I agree. My highbeam switch puked with the same symptoms.