Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights turning off on their own!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Nov 23, 2004.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Here is the deal. Driving for about 1 hour and using the brights and regular beams depending on traffic. All of a sudden the lights just go out and the dashlights too. Pull over to the side of the road and in 2 minutes they are back on. Go for another 30 minutes with just regular beams. No issues until I get withing 1/4 mile of destination. Then I needed the high beams to see. Lights went wiggy again but this time they flicker on and off. And then die for awhile. Get to destination and they stay flickering on and off. So I check and it is just the dash lights and head lights the running lights and brake lights are fine. What can this be? I replaced the stalk dimmer switch and the little brain box for it under the dash 4 months ago.

1 year ago this happened to me too but it went away and didn't come back. Lights and dash went dead and then came back on after a minute.

This was all on the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif.
    We take abunch of short trips at night with it but it never does this, just when we have taken long trips in cold weather where we are running the heat and lights.

Thanks

Tim

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Wow...Try another switch /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Head to the tech forum,someone there ought to know. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

kind of sounds like a loose ground /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like some corrosion or bad connection at a ground..

turn your lights on and start jiggling the light harness. the ground on the inside of the radiator support might be a likely spot..

i just had one last month where the harness running thru the frame to the rear chafed thru where it has a metal retaining clip for the frame. fried all wires into a solid piece behind the clip.. took me an hr or so to find that one.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There is a breaker in the headlight switch. Sound like you've either got a bad switch or you're pulling too much current thru the switch.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree about the switch having a weak circuit breaker in it.I sold tons of ford ones to the local police dept,their crown vic cruisers would not handle any extra lights added on to the stock switch--even regular cars had a lot of problems similar to yours,the longer the lights were on,the more likely they'ed go out.They ended up putting a relay on most of the cruisers to take the load off the switch.I'd say the dimmer switch is a possibility too,but since its a recent new one,maybe not..if you have a short in one of the wires,it will make the breaker trip,and it might not happen right away.I've ssen some weird light problems related to a trailer hitch plug with corroded wires and sockets too--dont forget to look there too... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem I replaced the light switch and have not had any more problems.

8. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

I agree with them, Start with the switch. Also check the high beam switch. but since you said the dash lights are being affected, I don't think it would be.
    I had a problem with mine, and came to find out it was because I rest my left foot next to the high/low switch . Right over the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif