Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff 86K5, May 25, 2000.

1. Jeff 86K5

Jeff 86K5 Registered Member

Hello folks,

After almost being run over THREE times this morning on the way to work, (You'd think people could see a 2&1/2 ton vehicle with flashing headlights and horn blowing.) I need some advice.

I want some really bright headlights. I mean some real retina burners. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have an 86 K5 with four square headlights.

Also what about air horns; any suggestions?

Seems like some days they are just out to get you.

Thanks,

Jeff 86K5

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Check your local parts house. I found some Hologen style replacements for my 72 and they are way brighter, cores mine are round but I bet they makem for your rig too!
    I also installed a set of plastic air horns one is about 12inces long and the other is about 8 inches and it goes something like this: FFFFRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA nice and loud! I use it often when some cityslicker cut in front of me or for some reason can't see me in the other lane as they are getting over. I still can't figure that one out,how the heck do they not see us!!?? HEllooo!!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Burt is right, on my 86b I changed from the old to the new Halogen and it is quite a difference...and adding the air horn is a nice way to make others leave a spot on the front seat if they cut in front of you....hehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

On my 79 (two round lights) I changed them over to H4 lights with 80/130 (think that was the combo) watt bulbs. Got them through JC Whitney, they are VERY bright.........not legal I don't believe, but as long as you stay out of the brights in traffic, never have any problem with folks flashing their lights at me. They offer a variet of low/high beam wattages, check out the catalog. Add to that a pair of 150 Watt H-3 lights on the bumper, and you can cook a steak from a few feet away.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There was a recent article in 4X4 Power magazine, on an install of JC Whitneys Diesel Air horn. The install looked pretty straight forward. Thinking of getting some for rig.

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

6. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Retina burners is one thing. But if You want to give people a real blast, here's something I found at J.C. Whitneys: A horn system with a 150 psi compressor, an air tank and a double trumpet horn - delivers 130db! Beware, small cars, or You will be blown away.
    Besides of the sound it gives You an add-on functionality: this set comes with an auxiliary air hose with air valve to fill Your tires, hah!
    Once my mule is back on the streets (and I have payed all the bills) I'll go for this system!
    MuleMaster

Chevy Truck - Like A Rock!
    <font color=blue>http://www.geocities.com/projectmule/</font color=blue>

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Hey Jeff...

If we can figure out sometime to contact each other on the phone, I'll let you hear the airhorns in my truck. I got the $25 set from Carquest. My friend has the $23. set from Advance Auto. Oh, I left the electric horns hooked up also... ITS FRIGGIN LOUD!

I'm working 3:30-11:30 the next 5 days

Corey
    919-751-1082
    EST

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez