Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headlights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Mar 2, 2003.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Ok I did my conversion yesterday from autoptiks. I ordered some bulbs from a different place, the bulbs were Wizzard's or something like that. Drove it last night and the are dimmer than my old one's /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif DO NOT BUY THESE BULBS!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

The reason I ordered these is b/c I had done the conversion on my old 71 C-10 from the same company and thought that these were the same bulbs. The one's I used before had a rainbow coating on them, kinda like you poured oil and water on them. Well the new one's are just a medium blue.

SO, what bulbs have ya'll had success with? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I've heard good things about PIAA's but they don't list them on their website. I have found them other places and on ebay though.

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Go with the Hella European type conversion. These are available at good auto parts stores. Be sure to get the ones with the off road use only sticker. I think the low beat cut-off angles are not DOT approved for the U.S. but I have never been stopped because of them. They are extremely bright and precise due to the high quality glass lens. The kit comes with the lens, rubber gasket and Hella H4 bulb. Bulb manufacturers claimed wattages are very different depending on the quality and cost. I know the bulbs that came with my kit are 55low and 65 high and they are much brighter than the crappy 90-110 watt cheapos or imitation HID. I paid $42 each at my local parts store-I personally would not use anything else.

3. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Did that conversion kit come with wiring harness, or was it just composite lenses to replace the sealed?

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Just the composite housings. I will be doing the wiring upgrade within the next two weeks. Right now this thing needs all the help it can get. Rugger03 referred me to here it is an excellent place to learn about re-wiring and they also have the relays that you need to do it.

5. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the link. Autoptiks? Hmmm. That's the $50/pair conversion kit? Wish I would've known you were looking for them, my catalog has them @ $13 each. Hopefully yours are just much better quality /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif $13? me too!